PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda 200x jetting help

ATCLIFEJOE
01-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Hi I have a 1985 200x and had the head rebuilt and cylinder bored with a .50 piston installed. I also bought a DG exhaust and K&N air filter. The Main Jet in the carb was a 108 and I was told to get a 110 is that correct? I was also told to get a #42 slow jet it has a 40 in it now. If anyone can help me get this atc going I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Weis003
01-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Yes I would increase you can always check the plug after WOT. Good rule too is that if it backfires n pops when you let off its getting to lean n needs more fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weis003
01-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Adjust the throttle too for setting on needle. I live in Wisconsin n set them richer for colder weather as well

ATCLIFEJOE
01-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had a mechanic come look last week and i only had the 110 main jet in it and didn't know to get the slow jet too. He told me to get the 42 slow jet too so I did. He was supposed to come by today and get it running right for me but didn't show up and not sure if he will. I put the 42 slow jet in and tried to get it going myself but its idling really high when I start it and throttle stop screw is not doing anything.

3wheel_life
01-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Check your throttle cable. Make sure it has enough slack in for the carb slide to fully slide down into the carb. I've been battling this same issue myself, re-adjusting the throttle cable did wonders for me. Almost got it figured out. Jetting is fun (sarcasm) there's no definitive answer and no two trikes are the same when it comes to jetting. Buy a couple new plugs to do chops to check for lean/rich condition, and only make one adjustment at a time, otherwise you'll never know what is doing what.

yaegerb
01-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had a mechanic come look last week and i only had the 110 main jet in it and didn't know to get the slow jet too. He told me to get the 42 slow jet too so I did. He was supposed to come by today and get it running right for me but didn't show up and not sure if he will. I put the 42 slow jet in and tried to get it going myself but its idling really high when I start it and throttle stop screw is not doing anything.

Put your air box lid on. Ditch the 42, put in 40. Use a 112 main. Needle 4th from top. As stated, check the throttle cable and check the carb for air leaks around the manifold.

Weis003
01-29-2017, 01:58 PM
I would have to agree with yaegerb usually stock setup is best on my machines. When I get new machines that usually the first step to get them running and most are good to go with stock jets. All ATC's were designed with a restrictive air box to give the correct air fuel mixture. I am bored out n cobra exhaust on my 200x and it's been great for 20 years and the most relevant able best running machine I have. I did have to go larger on my 350x though as it was running a bit lean. Good luck!