PDA

View Full Version : I need electrical help with Suzuki LT230E

cpaul
02-05-2004, 11:57 PM
I was tring to wire in a prodesign kill switch, obviously did it wrong.
While doing this, as bike was running the headlight and tail light was flickering with the idle of the motor.
When I revved up the bike the lights would get dimmer, at idle lights were brighter.
Then lights (both headlight and taillight) went out completely at same time.
Will not work with bike running or not.
Nuetral and reverse lights still work fine.
Only one fuse on bike and that covers entire electrical system, so that is not problem, bike starts and runs fine.

Any ideas? Did I fry the voltage regulator, if so wouldn't the lights still work when bike is not running?
Any help would be appreciated!

TimSr
02-08-2004, 11:49 PM
My best guess is that you inadvertantly either disconnected or shorted the voltage regulator to ground by wiring your kill switch to it. The regulater itself is probably still good. When you disconnect the voltage regualter and rev the motor, its common to blow bulbs from the voltage spike you then get when you rev.
First disconnect your kill switch you were trying to wire, and try to put your wires as they were before you started. Then take your bulbs out and check the filaments, visually sometimes you can tell, or with an ohm meter, or by hitting them with 12v from a battery or battery charger. If your bulbs are blown, youve probably done as I said. Replacing teh bulbs should then get you back to square one. Before replacing the bulbs and risking blowing them again, you can start the bike, and check it with a volt meter. If you still get huge voltage increases when you rev, your voltage regulater may be gone.
When you wire the kill switch the easiest way is to ground one wire to the frame, and connect the other wire to the spark plug coil input wire. You can usually simply bare the wire end and stick it in the spade connecter most coils inputs use.

cpaul
02-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Tim..........you are da man!
Thanks for all your help!