PDA

View Full Version : atc 125 help

oddfellow74
02-12-2017, 08:03 PM
I have a 1984 atc 125 and the motor is shot and i am wondering will a Chinese motor work or not. Half of the people in all of the forums are saying it will and the other half are saying no way. Does anyone know for sure and what all i need before i put this project on the side until i find another motor?

YTZ drew
02-12-2017, 09:23 PM
All of the Chinese engines I have seen have been built with the mounting dimensions of the Honda 50-70 and TRX90, which is a smaller bolt pattern than ATC/CT/CL/S /SL 90's, and all the horizontal cylinder 110's and 125's. So they don't bolt right in, but can be adapted with a little plate steel for spacers and a couple of holes drilled. You will lose the cylinder head mount, and some say the frame is significantly weakened because of that. Your experience might be different, but if it were me, I'd source a running Honda engine or rebuilt what you have. Good luck!

350for350
02-12-2017, 10:00 PM
I agree with YTZ Drew on the rebuild. What do you mean by "engine is shot"? Needs a rebuild or has a hole in the side from internal parts coming out?

oddfellow74
02-13-2017, 01:16 AM
not sure yet haven't messed with it much i just got it and the people who had it said it only has like two gears and it smokes just trying to find the easy fix on it like a lifan motor but i should know more in the next couple days