PDA

View Full Version : Carb tuning at altitude.

deathwobble
02-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Hey guys, I got a 1985 honda 200s I picked up and i got new tires fixed some wiring cleaned the carb and i still can't seem to get the carb tuned right. I think its cause im up at 4,800 feet and dont know if the jetting on this carb was ever done for this altitude. Any of you guys up at a similar altitude and have any good advice on jettings for it?

arlaunch
02-12-2017, 09:55 PM
What jets do you have in there now? What type of air filter?

The big red book calls for a 90 main and the needle on the 2nd clip. You could just move the needle up a clip and try that. How does it idle? Did you adjust the idle mixture screw at all? (the one on the front side of the carb that needs a short handled flat head) ?

Let us know which jet you have in there now. What plug, what gap and what air filter/exhaust

350for350
02-12-2017, 09:57 PM
I'm not about your trike, but a lot of service manuals give jetting recommendations for higher altitude. Of course every machine is different and you may need to vary a little form what's listed. If your 200s isn't completely stock, those recommendations mean nothing. By that, I mean your carb, engine, intake, and exhaust should be as close as possible to how it left the showroom.

deathwobble
02-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Sorry to just get back to you guys, the motor and exhaust are all stock but it does have a snorkel with a filter in it but its far from the stock intake so i guess that will make all the tuning pretty much unique to me. I can't even get it to idle right now and I've tried adjusting it.

arlaunch
02-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Have you adjusted the idle mixture?

deathwobble
03-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Once again sorry for the delayed response I've been up to my neck with school work and when I got time off been hitting the ski slopes so I haven't had time to mess with it anymore but yeah I've tried adjusting the idle mixture and still couldn't get it to idle at all. Which almost makes me think there might be something else going on too.

yaegerb
03-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Once again sorry for the delayed response I've been up to my neck with school work and when I got time off been hitting the ski slopes so I haven't had time to mess with it anymore but yeah I've tried adjusting the idle mixture and still couldn't get it to idle at all. Which almost makes me think there might be something else going on too.

you aren't at a high enough altitude for "high altitude settings". 5,000 ft is the minimum for those settings. You have yet to explain what is exactly going on. Do you have a manual for the 200s carb? If not, ensure it is set to stock settings. Also, what is "a snorkel with a filter on it"? If you don't have the stock airbox with lid, get one and then get a UNI air filter.