PDA

View Full Version : "Bridgestone Edition" Honda ATC 90

moonpup
02-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Hello everyone, I found this on craigslist and was wondering what the back story was on it. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks... Mike

Edit: I removed the link to the CL ad as I read the Rules and found that links to ads weren't allowed... sorry

AK47KID
02-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Hello everyone, I found this on craigslist and was wondering what the back story was on it. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks... Mike

https://omaha.craigslist.org/snw/5999836653.html
Following

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

d.walker43
02-13-2017, 07:57 PM
never heard of it. following. this might be nothing special or something awesome lol

Ghostv2
02-13-2017, 08:34 PM
Never seen or heard of one in my years on 3ww. Probably some sort of marketing campaign. But then again why wouldn't they even attempt to put their logo on the tank? Why doesn't it have Bridgestone tires? Maybe it was for other purposes. But it doesn't seem to be built In any way for a specific purpose. Hmmmmmm?

coolpool
02-14-2017, 12:19 AM
It's got reflectors, must be Canadian! Seriously though, what the heck is the point of branding it? Parade scheme? That cobbled front rack looks like it belongs on the back of a motorcycle.

moonpup
02-14-2017, 12:54 AM
Hi again,

Let me give you a little background about myself and why I posted this. First and foremost, I’m a Bridgestone motorcycle guy. ( I have a 350 GTO)

I found this listing while searching for BS bikes and/or parts on CL and was surprised to see the 2 brands connected like this, especially considering their rumored past. The “popular” story as to why Bridgestone got out of the motorcycle business was because the other big Japanese cycle companies banded together and told Bridgestone that they would stop using their tires if BS continued to make bikes, so seeing BS & Honda collaborating on something like this is interesting.

Since I don’t know the history of the Honda 3 wheelers, I thought I’d come here to find out more. Did Honda use Bridgestone tires on the ATC’s from the beginning or did they ever? Did they start using them in 1978, which is supposed to be the year of the ATC 90 in the ad?

My thought was that if Honda switched tire supplier in 1978 and went to Bridgestone, maybe the 2 companies "kissed & made up" after the "we won't buy tires if you still make cycles" bruhaha and the result was this “Bridgestone Edition”.....

Or maybe not... :rolleyes:

Ghostv2
02-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Honda used Ohtsu in 1969 all the way up to 1986 depending on the models. They also used dunlops like on the 250r's. But I don't recall bridgestones on any.

atc007
02-14-2017, 10:13 AM
It's a ATC 90................with 3 bridgestone stickers on it. Nothing more,nothing less lol. With a street bike rear rack slapped on the front.

moonpup
02-14-2017, 10:46 AM
It's a ATC 90................with 3 bridgestone stickers on it. Nothing more,nothing less lol. With a street bike rear rack slapped on the front.

Yes, this is nothing but a purely "branded" ATC 90. This was actually a popular thing to do back in the 70's. Anyone remember the "Levi's" AMC Gremlim? :lol:

Joseph Farrow
02-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Yes, this is nothing but a purely "branded" ATC 90. This was actually a popular thing to do back in the 70's. Anyone remember the "Levi" AMC Gremlim? :lol:

I agree someone just put BS decals on an ATC90 for what ever reason.

AMC also made a Levi's edition CJ as well.

moonpup
02-14-2017, 11:16 AM
I agree someone just put BS decals on an ATC90 for what ever reason.

From everything that I can see on this, that "someone" was Honda. The "Bridgestone" on the on the back is actually part of the larger decal and isn't a separate sticker someone just slapped on top of it. The decal on the side engine cover looks to be specifically made to fit there. Also, I don't believe the Bridgestone on the front fender is a decal at all, but rather is actually molded into it and part of the fender. "Bridgestone" is also molded into and part of the front fender mud guard/flap.

I agree that it's odd that there are no decals on the tank, but the tank could have been replaced at any time in the past 40 years and may not be the original.

DailyGrind
02-14-2017, 11:17 PM
this is some sort of promotion, possibly one of a kind. the logo is clearly part of the fender and clearly integrated into the decal as the o.p. suggests. beware those that might attempt to devalue something simply because its not in the back of their truck instead of yours.

ironchop
02-14-2017, 11:21 PM
I would make an offer on it.

I'll bet it was a promo ATC or maybe a contest prize sponsored by Bridgestone.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Chris2175
02-15-2017, 03:49 AM
I agree someone just put BS decals on an ATC90 for what reason.

Its clearly not decals just stuck on there as the recoil letters are raised and the front fender is branded with bridgestone. I was looking at this add as well on cl.

Chris2175
02-15-2017, 06:20 AM
May want to look again. Bridgestone is clearly imprinted on the front fender. Not a decal

Joseph Farrow
02-15-2017, 10:22 AM
May want to look again. Bridgestone is clearly imprinted on the front fender. Not a decal

You guys are too funny.....
I'm not saying it isnt someting special but I highly doubt American Honda Motor Corp of Japan made it specially for Bridgestone.
Has anyone looked at the Bike in person to verify how the "Bridgestone" logo was applied or are you just looking at the pixs from the ad?

May want to look again.
I did look again and it still appears to be just a decal applied to a stock ATC90.

I don't believe the Bridgestone on the front fender is a decal at all, but rather is actually molded into it and part of the fender.
What happened to the "Mold"? I cant believe QA would let the "T" not being correct in the logo get by them. :wondering

Aulbaugh
02-15-2017, 12:09 PM
the front fender mud flap has the Bridgestone logo on it. From the picture it doesn't look like a sticker but rather made for the mud flap. Moonpup what part of TX are you from?

moonpup
02-15-2017, 12:11 PM
The partial "T" in the raised logo is merely the result of it being oxidized and brittle and that section eventually breaking off. You'll notice the edges of the rest of the letters are no longer as crisp & sharp as they should be, this also due to oxidation & wear over the years.

BTW: What's your theory on the red "Bridgestone" that is embossed under the Honda logo on the mud flap? Is that a decal as well?

Edit: Also noticed "Bridgestone" is on the rear mud flaps as well....

moonpup
02-15-2017, 12:14 PM
the front fender mud flap has the Bridgestone logo on it. From the picture it doesn't look like a sticker but rather made for the mud flap. Moonpup what part of TX are you from?

I'm currently down here in the Rio Grande Valley, but will soon be back in Houston. :Bounce

Aulbaugh
02-15-2017, 12:18 PM
The partial "T" in the raised logo is merely the result of it being oxidized and brittle and that section eventually breaking off. You'll notice the edges of the rest of the letters are no longer as crisp & sharp as they should be, this also due to oxidation & wear over the years.

That is what I thought as well. You can still see the darker portion on the fender where the other part of the T once was.

Aulbaugh
02-15-2017, 12:21 PM
I'm currently down here in the Rio Grande Valley, but will soon be back in Houston. :Bounce

Cool. It's always good to see more Texas Riders on here

yaegerb
02-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Buy it, restore it, and if you own a Bridgestone tire shop use it as a marketing prop.

Speculating through pictures....SMH

DailyGrind
02-15-2017, 01:24 PM
somebody still wishing it was in their truck i see. this is like american politics, right there in front of you but you still can't see it haha. there's not a shadow of a doubt that this atc is a promotional concept. every mudflap is embossed with bridgestone. wouldn't be too tough for a tire company to achieve that would it

Joseph Farrow
02-15-2017, 01:52 PM
somebody still wishing it was in their truck i see. this is like american politics, right there in front of you but you still can't see it haha. there's not a shadow of a doubt that this atc is a promotional concept. every mudflap is embossed with bridgestone. wouldn't be too tough for a tire company to achieve that would it

I'm the one laughing at you if you are refering to me wanting it in the back of my truck.
I tell you what, go ahead and buy it and send me your paypal address and I'll give you $5k for it.
The only American Politics I see right here in front of me is someone trying to hype something for the sake of making some money off a ATC90 with Bridgestone Decals.

83ATC185
02-15-2017, 02:10 PM
It's ultra rare just like the blue 110s and 70s, just like the U-Haul bikes and the police KLT's

Just like everything else.

At best it was a promotional item...call the guy and ask if he has any firsthand knowledge or paperwork on the bike showing its rarity, and if he doesn't and you still want it offer him a generous $200 and if he doesn't take it walk away.

Its not rocket surgery.

moonpup
02-15-2017, 02:40 PM
"The only American Politics I see right here in front of me is someone trying to hype something for the sake of making some money off a ATC90 with Bridgestone Decals."

In case it is your belief that that "someone" was me, let me make it clear that I neither own nor do I have any interest in this other than trying to find out what the story is behind these 2 brands coming together. Trying to insure that accurate information is presented in a thread is not in any way "hype"......

yaegerb
02-15-2017, 02:47 PM
It's a cool bike for posterity sake, but let's not let egos and butt hurt flow through us today or in this thread. There's a few newbies in this thread that are kicking up some dust which seems odd but ok. Please check egos at the door. If you aren't buying it and have no intentions then move on please.

DailyGrind
02-15-2017, 03:40 PM
personally interested in buying it, yes, but fair enough.

DailyGrind
02-15-2017, 04:09 PM
i was wrong its all decals. my apology. so its not like politics after all

Ghostv2
02-15-2017, 06:52 PM
You guys sure are defensive and don't even own the dang thing.

It's simple, if you think it's cool, go buy it. Put it in the garage and have a nice conversation piece until you find out some real history on it. Who knows, maybe one day you'll find out it's something special or worse comes to worse you have an atc90. You can't go wrong from what I see. Spend your energy wrenching not fighting.

moonpup
02-15-2017, 07:10 PM
"You guys sure are defensive and don't even own the dang thing."

If I am one of "you guys" then let me again state that.... I have no interest in this other than trying to find out what the story is behind these 2 brands coming together.

Perhaps you & Mr. Farrow could use actual names vs. "someone" & "you guys" when posting your concerns?

DailyGrind
02-15-2017, 07:14 PM
You guys sure are defensive and don't even own the dang thing.

It's simple, if you think it's cool, go buy it. Put it in the garage and have a nice conversation piece until you find out some real history on it. Who knows, maybe one day you'll find out it's something special or worse comes to worse you have an atc90. You can't go wrong from what I see. Spend your energy wrenching not fighting.hey dude why carry on i already said i was wrong. there's literally no connection its all decals, the guy sent me very good closeups and admitted it's just an old trike. can be bought for 200

Ghostv2
02-15-2017, 08:43 PM
"You guys sure are defensive and don't even own the dang thing."

If I am one of "you guys" then let me again state that.... I have no interest in this other than trying to find out what the story is behind these 2 brands coming together.

Perhaps you & Mr. Farrow could use actual names vs. "someone" & "you guys" when posting your concerns?

Because;
"If the shoe fits..."

moonpup
02-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Because;
"If the shoe fits..."

Thank you for letting me know how you feel.....:crazy:

Ghostv2
02-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Thank you for letting me know how you feel.....:crazy:

I didn't say you in particular. I didn't even pay attention to the names of the posters. I just read what was posted and responded. If you feel it applies to you then take it as you will. I didn't say anything negative, derogatory, or hurtful in any way.

Only name I paid attention to when they posted was Mr. Farrow. If you have been on the boards for awhile you should know why. If he talks about anything 90/110 you listen. He knows his stuff. I don't have to go any further into that, just search his posts.

Ghostv2
02-15-2017, 09:09 PM
hey dude why carry on i already said i was wrong. there's literally no connection its all decals, the guy sent me very good closeups and admitted it's just an old trike. can be bought for 200

Again, if you feel this applies to you then take it as you will. I never once argued the fact of the decals being actual decals or embossed. Factory or not. I never posted you were wrong in any way. My first post was in a curious manner, just like you felt when you first seen it. I was interested in the history behind it. If any. That's it.