PDA

View Full Version : Valve Related Questions for 1983 ATC185s

Bernard3rd
02-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Hello All,

I have recently purchased a 1983 ATC 185 s which is very clean and in overall really nice shape. I want to do some mild mods, I will be replacing the Valves, Valve guides and seals as well as putting in an XL Cam, and down the road I may put in something from Webcams or Megacyclecams.

A few questions:

I have looked at the Kibblewhite Valves, Bronze Valve Guides and seals. However, it seems that the often times people prefer the Original Honda Equipment when possible to obtain, and all of these parts are still available. Are the Kibblewhite parts superior or just more expensive?

Additionally, It seems good to replace the valve springs and If I may put in a hotter cam down the road, stiffer springs seem logical.Both Webcam and Megacycle offer spring kits for up to .450" valve lift. Would this be Acceptable to run with the XL cam, or would it be better to just stick with the stock springs until upgrading to the aftermarket cam? The Webcam that I am considering is the one with .375 lift. The only thing that I can think as a potential drawback of the aftermarket springs is that there would be increased friction/wear, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks so much for any and all pertinent comments/information.

Bernard