PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?!!?!?!

miloman
02-26-2017, 07:11 PM
I tried starting my Honda 84 Big Red 200es with a tiny bit of starter fluid and after about 10 seconds of cranking the carb made a pop sound and a little bit of whitefish gray smoke came out. Should I be worried?? Haven't touched it since it happened and won't until I can get some advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350for350
02-26-2017, 07:45 PM
We need a little more information. Why were you using ether to start it? Has it run since you had it? Do you know for a fact that it ran before?

miloman
02-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Yes it defiantly ran before and I was using ether to start it because it won't start after I adjusted the Air-Fuel mixture screw and somehow made it stop starting aside from once a day it it does after 10 seconds no matter what

miloman
02-26-2017, 07:50 PM
We need a little more information. Why were you using ether to start it? Has it run since you had it? Do you know for a fact that it ran before?

Yes it defiantly ran before and I was using ether to start it because it won't start after I adjusted the Air-Fuel mixture screw and somehow made it stop starting aside from once a day it it does after 10 seconds no matter what

russ98atc
02-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Thing Just back fired into the carb. Run it

miloman
02-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Thing Just back fired into the carb. Run it

So I didn't like blow out my crankcase or damage anything? If so yaga know god I was real scared

russ98atc
02-26-2017, 08:37 PM
I'm gonna highly doubt it caused any damage. I myself try not to use starting fluid in small engines unless necessary. A properly running engine shouldn't need it

miloman
02-26-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm gonna highly doubt it caused any damage. I myself try not to use starting fluid in small engines unless necessary.

Yeah I was just trying to get the damn thing to start because all I did was turn the fuel air mix screw and it wouldn't start so I resorted to starter fluid really weird problem ik (still looking for the solution)

350for350
02-28-2017, 09:35 PM
As for your starting issue, have you tried checking your valve clearances or checked to see if the timing's off?

miloman
02-28-2017, 09:36 PM
As for your starting issue, have you tried checking your valve clearances or checked to see if the timing's off?

Everything is is order the most it will do is run for 15 seconds and move but dies regardless after that

Rob Canadian
02-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Fresh gas. Clean the carb. You should be good to go. :)

Not sure on the time-line of when it ran and why you had to use the fluid to start it(?)

miloman
02-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Fresh gas. Clean the carb. You should be good to go. :)

Not sure on the time-line of when it ran and why you had to use the fluid to start it(?)

I fully in depth explained this in another forum but I'll just summarize. It ran perfectly (except no idle for more more than 10 seconds) after fresh gas fuel filter cleaned, petcock valve cleaned, gas line cleaned, and carb cleaned. I simply adjusted the fuel air mix screw by loosening it by a 1/4 turn out and it hasn't ran aside from 15 seconds after that. I have hit a wall and I know for a fact that the timing compression and valves blah blah blah are clean I just have no idea how 1/4 turn to the fuel air mixture screw fooed my bike up so bad that it wouldn't start, totally stuck here.

deejaycee_2000
03-01-2017, 02:27 AM
I would suggest cleaning the carb again, making sure all jets are clear, check the float level and adjust the air/fuel mix as per the manual (think it is 1 & 1/2 turns outwards from soft stop) and then it should fire right up.

coolpool
03-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Try running it with your gas cap loose. It may be plugged?

miloman
03-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Try running it with your gas cap loose. It may be plugged?

Hm I'm not familiar with a "gas cap" is do you mean like the place where you pour the fuel into?

miloman
03-01-2017, 09:14 PM
I would suggest cleaning the carb again, making sure all jets are clear, check the float level and adjust the air/fuel mix as per the manual (think it is 1 & 1/2 turns outwards from soft stop) and then it should fire right up.

Even though I'd like to keep the original carb I think I'll get a new carb and carb kit and use the carb kit to keenly original but if that doesn't work I'll throw on the new carb

350for350
03-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Yes. The gas cap on top of your tank where you put the gas in.

BigRedGrizzly
03-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Does it run any longer or better if you have the choke on?

miloman
03-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Does it run any longer or better if you have the choke on?

No not at all even on full or no choke

Rob Canadian
03-01-2017, 11:55 PM
I would be going back into the carb myself.

Did you put a new carb kit into it when you had it apart? Heck. I had a jet back out on me when I first got my trike.

miloman
03-01-2017, 11:58 PM
I would be going back into the carb myself.

Did you put a new carb kit into it when you had it apart? Heck. I had a jet back out on me when I first got my trike.

Nah I just cleaned everything with a toothbrush and some wire for the jet holes

Rob Canadian
03-02-2017, 12:10 AM
Nah I just cleaned everything with a toothbrush and some wire for the jet holes

OK. This is what I would do.Leave the gas cap on. Turn fuel off. Pop the fuel line off the carb. Try and find a bottle/cup to put the line in. Open the fuel petcock and watch the flow. Let it run for a couple seconds...10.

If good flow this will tell you gas cap is venting ok. Petcock is working. Fuel line is not plugged. Simple check.

If this checks out OK. Then into the carb I would go. Make sure there is flow from the inlet to the carb. (Needle and seat)

coolpool
03-03-2017, 09:34 AM
A little more info please. Did it run properly at all since you owned it? How long has it been sitting? Inside/outside? Could there be a mouse nest in your air box? Plugged exhaust from a mud wasp nest. The carb does truly sound like your issue but you have to check the simple things first! If carb work is out of your area of comfort, ask someone on here near you to rebuild it and put the factory settings on to get it started. Probably cost a few bucks but..............

miloman
03-03-2017, 10:32 AM
A little more info please. Did it run properly at all since you owned it? How long has it been sitting? Inside/outside? Could there be a mouse nest in your air box? Plugged exhaust from a mud wasp nest. The carb does truly sound like your issue but you have to check the simple things first! If carb work is out of your area of comfort, ask someone on here near you to rebuild it and put the factory settings on to get it started. Probably cost a few bucks but..............

Yes it ran properly just wouldn't idle very long and no there's no animals inside it it's all clean and it's been sitting for about 2 weeks since I adjusted the carb aside from starting for 15 seconds every other day and I have a friend coming over but I really would like to figure out the damn problem myself and not have to call him out whenever something happens

ironchop
03-03-2017, 10:47 AM
I would wait for your buddy to come over. He obviously knows it better than any of us.

You're asking us to diagnose a machine we can't see, hear, touch, whatever and when we try to give you things to check for, you dismiss everyone's advice by saying "it's all in order"......No it's not. It would run if it were in order. That means that something is still wrong despite your assurance that it's all correctly cleaned and looked over

This is the second thread you started over this trike in two weeks. Everyone is telling you to check stuff and you just dismiss them by talking about how it HAS to be the airscrew because that was the event horizon for all your troubles. Every suggestion here was covered in your other thread.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?t=182692

I'm not trying to be a dick, but man if you want help you're going to need to listen more.

Good luck with your issue and I would just call the last guy to get it running because he seems to know more about it than any of us trying to guess why your airscrew suddenly quit working.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

miloman
03-03-2017, 11:44 AM
I would wait for your buddy to come over. He obviously knows it better than any of us.

You're asking us to diagnose a machine we can't see, hear, touch, whatever and when we try to give you things to check for, you dismiss everyone's advice by saying "it's all in order"......No it's not. It would run if it were in order. That means that something is still wrong despite your assurance that it's all correctly cleaned and looked over

This is the second thread you started over this trike in two weeks. Everyone is telling you to check stuff and you just dismiss them by talking about how it HAS to be the airscrew because that was the event horizon for all your troubles. Every suggestion here was covered in your other thread.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?t=182692

I'm not trying to be a dick, but man if you want help you're going to need to listen more.

Good luck with your issue and I would just call the last guy to get it running because he seems to know more about it than any of us trying to guess why your airscrew suddenly quit working.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

The reason why I say that is because it's all that I touched before when the thing decided to stop starting and I I hadn't touched it it still would've run

yaegerb
03-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Stop debating with members on here that are giving you pearls...get a manual, start wrenching and check the following:

1. Valve Adjustment (could be too tight)
2. Timing (may have jumped a tooth or two)
3. Examine Air filter (Must be spotless and oiled)
4. Exhaust not plugged
6. Good stream of fuel coming from pet cock with gas cap on (checking for blocked filter in tank or vent working improperly)
7. Same stream of fuel coming out of pet cock with gas cap off (base line the stream above to rule out gas cap)

If all of that checks out, rebuild your carb. If you can't do it send it to someone here. I rebuild carbs, flyingW rebuilds them. Do not go out and get a non OEM knockoff carb. You are putting good money after bad.

miloman
03-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Hello all! Following through with my problem like I promised! My buddy came over today and helped me get the thing started. To fix it we pulled the spark plug and found that it was fouled and probably not enough of a spark which caused all of my starting problems and put in an old 4164 spark plug that we had laying around. Next we adjusting the air screw and put it in a lot more (was backed out "pretty far" he said) and then we played around with the idle screw until we got it to idle good. It idles good now but the only downfall is that it will sometimes move on it's own (without touching the throttle) but it's barely anything and it will stop once you brake. So all in all it was about a 20 minute fix (excluding the extra half hour it took to get the darn plastic fenders back on - was very tedious.) So all in all my ATC is back to how it was a couple of weeks ago and even better because it will actually idle now and doesn't require constant throttle. So I was partially wrong here and didn't even give the spark plug thought because it was new but other than that it was mainly the carb he said.

350for350
03-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear that you got it running again.