PDA

View Full Version : 84 Tri-Zinger barn find

scottiebell
02-27-2017, 04:16 PM
My buddy has an 84 Tri Zinger he used to ride when he was a kid. He didn't realize his dad saved it back in one of their barns for 20 some odd years, found it and dug it out. This bike is in phenomenal shape for the age. Super nice bike. Its wasn't starting of course so I drained the tank and cleaned, pulled the petcock and cleaned it, pulled the carb and could smell the varnish. Cleaned it all up with good carb cleaner, and compressed air. Put it together with new gas and put new oil in the reservoir for the oil injection. Pulled it, started first pull. Died then nothing. Now if he pulls the choke cable up, way past where it should be, it'll fire, run for about 10 seconds and die again. The slide is still set as factory, and the air mixture is out 2 turns, which it was also set as before we cleaned it all up. I figure it has got to be in the carb somewhere. I guess my question is, does the screw in the float bowl need to be adjusted out like the main air mixture screw on the body. I look at a carb schematic, and it says that it is also an air adjustment screw.

axeman24
02-27-2017, 05:37 PM
sounds like a great find
but.....
pics or it didn't happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deejaycee_2000
02-28-2017, 03:12 AM
My guess is you still have a clogged jet, use a thin guitar string to unclog those jets then try again.

russ98atc
02-28-2017, 09:00 AM
I'd recommend cleaning your exhaust thoroughly. As well as drilling through the divider plate in the silencer, I can put up a picture if you want. Tri zingers are known for exhausts clogging, mine never ran right until I cleaned it. Also take the restrictor plate out from where the header meets the cylinder itll look like a washer, that'll open her up a bit as well

HairyJR
02-28-2017, 12:14 PM
I'd recommend cleaning your exhaust thoroughly. As well as drilling through the divider plate in the silencer

Even if the OP doesn't ask for the divider plate info, many of us Tri Zinger owners will read this thread and wonder what, where and how to preform this mod. As for the OP's problem my first thought was the handle bar start switch circuit and next would be the gas tank cap not venting. Do let us know your fix and welcome to the madness (board).

"HJ" 240214 :beer

russ98atc
02-28-2017, 01:59 PM
There used to be a thread on this but I can't seem to find it. So your going to get a drill bit close to the size of the hole on the silencer. Your going to drill through the first layer of metal (divider plate) on the inside of the hole that connects to the baffle. You should Be able to see what I'm talking about from the pictures. Doing this alone made a night and day difference in power for my zinger. As for the restrictor plate it will be attached to the exhaust gasket on the header. Also highly recommend doing this.

HairyJR
02-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Thanks russ98atc for the additional info posting to this thread, as for my YT60 the restrictor washer had been removed years ago.

"HJ" 240219 :beer

pervO
03-10-2017, 02:52 PM
The trick I use for cleaning a carburetor is lemon juice! half lemon juice half water boil it for 5 minutes then boil it for another 5 in just water. Blow it out with air and she is brand new. Also outside the shiz stinks.