PDA

View Full Version : 225dx swingarm help ( long and convoluted story....)

misterwoody
02-27-2017, 08:23 PM
ok, here goes....
i bought the 225dx last summer,as a not running,rolling machine.....no battery,fubar carb, with the following few problems
petcock ( handle turner ) was snapped off....
bad fuel line from gas tank,
and in very bad need of swing-arm bearings,as the swing-arm was being held in place,by of all things twine....very sketchy, and i of course didn't ride it that way,nor let anyone around me ride it until i got the swing-arm bearings,and then got all the money to get them installed by a place that said they work on these....had the swing-arm bearings done,but i am unsure of what to make of how the job came out....i have read the manual on how the job should have been done,and honestly i can't see how ( or if ) the repair shop did stuff the way they were supposed to,like the repair manual states....

the manual says to install the inner races,then the bearings,then install the allen threaded bolts and torque them to ( insert manual spec here....) something very light, if i remember correctly the figure was like 6 ft lbs or something close to that for the allen headed bolts.....

then put the nuts on and hold the allen ( bolts ) to xxxx torque spec.... ( that figure,if i recall correctly was like 75 ft lbs....)

the shop got the bearing in on the left side ( and got the nut on and i would believe torqued down tightly ) before going on to the remaining right side

then when they tried to put the right side together it didn't go back together correctly....the shop owner old me that he " had to run the right side allen bolt completely in and he got it all together, no swing-arm play/movement at all.....

but obviously this is not correct,nor is it even use-able to myself ( the owner ) and i would basically call this crappy mechanical work as well....

i know a lot of folks on this site here have had to have done their own swing-arm bearings on their own 225dx/dr 3 wheelers

i am almost betting that the pieces that are supposed to go onto the end of the threaded allen bolt,that go through those collars and then into the swingarm are not installed,and mightmake have even been removed and he just thought they were more junk from in the bearing area and they got thrown out with the bad bearing materials??????
that would make everything else on the 3 wheeler's swing-arm all go back together ( correctly ) and all the parts would fit together correctly......

the allen bolts would stick out further, as they should and since they were out further that would allow the passenger side allen to be able to have a ( lock )nut installed just as the factory intended......

incidentally, i ( of course ) didn't get the locking nut back,and i didn't get back the plastic cover that protects them,either......

i know this is a bit of a rant/help post but i think i am in need of others advice and knowledge at this time.....

misterwoody
03-03-2017, 08:54 PM
i do also have some pictures of the problem area that i took to show what is wrong as well,but i was unsure whether to post them so the thread is not a huge thread for some site users....