PDA

View Full Version : Hunters... Anyone use a tripod stand?

Thorpe
03-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Pre planning for deer hunting already (since ice fishing is all but over) and am kind of intrigued by the tripod tree stands. Anyone have one? In the woods I use a Summit Viper climber, but and thinking of adding a tripod to hunt over a field where the tree line doesn't offer any mature trees...

Scootertrash
03-04-2017, 09:38 PM
I use these:

https://www.bigdoghunting.com/product/bdt-300-16-tripod/

And this cover (just an FYI: That pretty girl with the bow IS NOT INCLUDED with the stand/cover combo):

https://www.bigdoghunting.com/product/bdttk-200-peaked-tripod-enclosure-kit/

I have 2 in my back woods, the neighbor I hunt with has 2 in his back woods and the neighbor next to me has 3 or 4. I'm pleased with them, had mine 2-3 years. If you don't remove the camo cover for winter they get pretty beat up and only last 2 -3 years.

I have those 70 lb Menards sand bags zip tied to the legs on one and I made 3- 4' x 4' x 5" thick base plates for the other then lag bolted the stand to them. I'll probably make the same pads for the other one this year. They will blow over! (Not with someone in one. At least not that I've heard of.):w00t: :( :naughty: :lol: :wondering :beer

You don't have to run the camo covers, but it's nice to be able to close the window on the windy side of the blind if you want. Plus, I don't want the deer to see me sleeping in my stand, so there is that.

ETA: I get them at Menards, usually wait for one of their 11% off weeks. Might be able to find them cheaper online in the off season. ;)

Thorpe
03-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Thanks Scoot! So they are pretty sturdy? I could somehow see my "special" self touching off one of my big guns and tipping it over! The lack of harness is a bit odd to me, but what would you tether too?!

Scootertrash
03-05-2017, 01:43 PM
They feel pretty sturdy to me, never felt like one of them was gonna tip over. I'll take some pics of the pads I built for the one tripod a little later when I'm out in the woods.

x-rider
03-07-2017, 12:49 AM
Blinds work on the ground also.