PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda ATC 250es wiring help

Adamlund
03-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Just started bringing a 1985 ATC 250es back to life and went to hook up the battery then turned key to on and started melting wires( green wire that goes to ignition and the red one that goes to ignition). Wondering if it could be old wires, the CDI or a bad starter solenoid?

Rob Canadian
03-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Just to get the ball rolling on this.
What is the history?

Did you just turn on the key and it started burning OR did you hit the "start" button then it started melting wires.

Yes. You have a dead short.

Adamlund
03-06-2017, 11:13 PM
SAT for about 10 years covered so I did all new fluids rebuilt and cleaned the carb bought new ignition coil, spark plug ,oil filter fuel lines and filter. And kill switch is in the run position and I turned ignition to on but did not hit the start button.

Jd110
03-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Sounds like wires are crossed. I'd inspect that red wire from the starter relay to ignition switch. Is there a fuse in the circuit? Here's a diagram 240514
Good luck, Adam and welcome aboard! If you find it, please let us know what the problem was. Thanks

Adamlund
03-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Well I've got a new CDI and ignition coil so I'll do one at a time and let u know what one works or if they work and yes I have that wirering diagram and have fallowed all the wires that melted and they are correct and all fuses on the thing are good still. Also kick starter does not grab unless u kick super slow. Is that a bad one way bearing?

Rob Canadian
03-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Surprised that the fuses are still good...

Any chance you hooked up the battery backwards(?)