PDA

View Full Version : FST Dual oil coolers for 350x help

Shawn Powell
03-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Does anyone have a picture of these? I'm contemplating it due to living in Southern California. Would like to see what it looks like and how it's mounted and ties in? I don't have a home based PC so I can't access FST website. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickey Dunlap
03-11-2017, 11:33 AM
The pics and mounting info comes with the cooler kit, there are no pics on my site.

Shawn Powell
03-11-2017, 12:07 PM
The pics and mounting info comes with the cooler kit, there are no pics on my site.

Ok thanks. I wasn't going to bother you with my silly questions after I saw your FB post seems like your a busy man. One last question regarding mounting, do I have to weld anything? Thanks a lot.

Matt85'350x
04-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Hey if you get this installed on your x can you please share some pictures with us? I've also been wondering how this is setup.

Ranvier
04-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Shawn I have been looking at a xr400 cooler.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/ranvier1/Mobile%20Uploads/c49ceeb4446e85b9a1982388276442b0_zpsk7rswbhp.jpg

Shawn Powell
04-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Shawn I have been looking at a xr400 cooler.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/ranvier1/Mobile%20Uploads/c49ceeb4446e85b9a1982388276442b0_zpsk7rswbhp.jpg

To mount where, on the front tube? And to replace or as an extra? How do you tie the two in? FST kits don't cost that much I was just wanting to see what it actually looks like. I was even contemplating dual 400ex coolers. But we'll see. Not gonna be till my summer tear down either way. Was just gonna start stock piling parts

Ranvier
04-10-2017, 06:02 PM
To mount where, on the front tube? And to replace or as an extra? How do you tie the two in? FST kits don't cost that much I was just wanting to see what it actually looks like. I was even contemplating dual 400ex coolers. But we'll see. Not gonna be till my summer tear down either way. Was just gonna start stock piling parts

Was going to see what capacity was. Ideally just run one and if it fits on the stem would be clean but a kit would be simpler. My big bore motor was in a quad frame and had a big single oil cooler.

Shawn Powell
04-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Yeah my motor is super mild. .050 over wiseco stock cam 400ex carb and full exhaust. Stock air box with k and n with lid even. (Lots of muddy trails) and some super mild porting. Just got rid of the casting flaws basically. Runs fine and I switch to 20 50 in summer. But I'd still like the duals especially when I take it to the sand (if I ever make it out there.)

barnett468
04-10-2017, 11:11 PM
What oil are you using?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

BOB MARLIN
04-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Shawn,
although I like the idea of more oil cooling-the more the better- I wouldn't be to concerned about it getting too hot. I ride the piss out of all my 350x's here in the Cali desert and I have a friend that races 100 mile desert races on a 350x in the Arizona desert and they seem to do just fine.

Shawn Powell
04-11-2017, 12:08 PM
What oil are you using?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

I use the basic Honda gn4. Change it often and use Honda OEM filters. That's in all my bikes. 10 40 winter and 20 50 summer.

barnett468
04-13-2017, 08:50 PM
I use the basic Honda gn4. Change it often and use Honda OEM filters. That's in all my bikes. 10 40 winter and 20 50 summer.

That's decent oil but nothing special and it shears to a lower viscosity . You might consider a shear free Group IV synthetic oil like Mobil 1 20w-50 V Twin oil . Auto parts stores and motorcycle shops and walmart sells it.

Shawn Powell
04-13-2017, 10:09 PM
That's decent oil but nothing special and it shears to a lower viscosity . You might consider a shear free Group IV synthetic oil like Mobil 1 20w-50 V Twin oil . Auto parts stores and motorcycle shops and walmart sells it.

Is that rated for a wet clutch? I've never cared for synthetics in older style motors. Haven't had any problems but do plan on hot summer rides.

barnett468
04-13-2017, 11:49 PM
Is that rated for a wet clutch?

Yes.

I've never cared for synthetics in older style motors.

Why?

Haven't had any problems but do plan on hot summer rides.

Group IV and V oils are virtually shear free which means that their viscosity will remain consistent and never shear to a lower viscosity . The also have a higher flash/burn point than lower rated oils which means they will not as easily get cooked off the surfaces from high heat.

Shawn Powell
04-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Yes.

Why?

Group IV and V oils are virtually shear free which means that their viscosity will remain consistent and never shear to a lower viscosity . The also have a higher flash/burn point than lower rated oils which means they will not as easily get cooked off the surfaces from high heat.

Every time I've ever put full synthetics in my older style motors I've gotten more engine noise. From my bikes to my older ford engines.