PDA

View Full Version : Comet f n r transfer case, oil, capacity? Avenger 1/4 T

SpikeTrike
03-12-2017, 07:31 AM
I have it all ready to go back together today, does anyone know what kind and weight oil is used in it, and how much does it hold.
Turned out a cheap fix, but pain in the rump taking out and tearing down. Hard to remove brake hub, and mostly drilling out the old roll pins that sheared off!

Tapped the axles and spool, installed gRade 8 bolts, locktite, should hold up better i hope. Hot Rod 420 Harbor Fright engine, intake, header, mild cam, no stinkling govenor, LOL
THRASH TESTING!.WORKS.

Thanks
Hope Some one can help, before I head out to the parts house.
Spike

psupiper
12-17-2017, 10:32 PM
I just came into possession of this same model Comet F N R gearbox in pieces. However, my unit appears to be missing the shift fork or mechanism. Do you know where I can get an assembly drawing or purchase parts?

Thanks,
Chuck

lndy650
12-17-2017, 10:59 PM
If its the same as the Comet gearbox's that I'm familiar with I always used Polaris AGL gear case oil. If the cart was ran in the winter I would use the snowmobile gear case oil SGL. Really any good gear case oil is fine I just prefer Polaris oils and we had it where I worked. The fill plug if I remember correctly (I think its an allen)on the side of the case and you fill it until the oil starts to spill out.

The capacity was 8 ounces and if its been disassembled and reassembled it will take more probably around 10 ounces.

lndy650
12-17-2017, 11:16 PM
In case you wanted to know Comet recommended 80/90W gear oil. psupiper I looked but couldn't find a good parts diagram. My advice, if you can afford it and the project is worth the money buy a current model gearbox I'm pretty sure you can get a good one for around 150 maybe less. If its not worth buying a new one just keep searching ebay and other sites to see if the part you need gets listed.