PDA

View Full Version : Honda 350x carb issue

deerhunter64
03-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Picked up an 85 350x and it takes forever to start and bogs down at quarte throttle and beyond. Took the carb apart to do a rebuild and found most of the internals are stripped and can't get stuff apart. Has anyone tried the carbs of ebay? Say they are direct replacements.it does have a dg pipe on it

Shawn Powell
03-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Just my two cents but I'll toss it out there. 400ex carb. Best mod I did for mine by far. Bought a brand new one for about 150$. I'm sure you can get used cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunter64
03-12-2017, 05:05 PM
I have thought of that. Did u have to rejet

Shawn Powell
03-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Not a whole lot. Factory 350x was a 138. I went to a 142 and I think one size up on the pilot. Runs great. I have a k and n filter but I keep my lid on as I ride a lot of muddy trials and water crossings. If you pop the lid she gets real lean. There's a lot of posts on this forum on the swap. (Where I stole the idea) and parts are easy to get. Just need a heat gun to stretch out your factory intake boot. I also used a factory 400ex cable. Mine was all rusty.

Shawn Powell
03-12-2017, 05:28 PM
It's about 6mm bigger a carb so there's more air in there but also has a accelerator pump so it dumps it in there. I also live in so cal at sea level and run 100 octane so my jetting might not be your jetting just thought I'd add to that.

deerhunter64
03-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Any year of 400ex carb would work?

Shawn Powell
03-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Yeah I think they are all the same. At one point , I don't know what year, Honda used a block off for the site fuel screw. So older ones like 2002 don't have it. But I bought a brand new one and just drilled the block off plate off and swapped the screw with an older model.

deerhunter64
03-12-2017, 06:08 PM
If I don't go with the 400 carb does my issue just sound like a pluged jet. I've had it apart what I could get apart to clean

Shawn Powell
03-12-2017, 06:16 PM
If I don't go with the 400 carb does my issue just sound like a pluged jet. I've had it apart what I could get apart to clean

Yeah kinda hard to tell from the other side of a cell phone. Maybe try soaking the carb in wd40 to get some stuff loose so you can clean it better? Also you can try clearing from the top down. Take the needle plate off pull the needle up a d shoot carb cleaner down through the passages way.

Ranvier
03-12-2017, 06:16 PM
I have heard alot of ppl doing the 400ex carb swap. For now I am running a stock carb with a 142 main and a supertrapp. I sent all my carbs for rebuild to a member on here flyingW with great results. I have limiting wrenching/riding time and I hate carbs.
On my x, I have to be careful not to flood it when starting cold. Starts warm no problem.240651

Shawn Powell
03-12-2017, 07:05 PM
I have heard alot of ppl doing the 400ex carb swap. For now I am running a stock carb with a 142 main and a supertrapp. I sent all my carbs for rebuild to a member on here flyingW with great results. I have limiting wrenching/riding time and I hate carbs.
On my x, I have to be careful not to flood it when starting cold. Starts warm no problem.240651

That's a nice rebuild. Looks like a NOS unit. The 400 carb def runs better. But I hear ya. I catcalls dropped a jet size I have the factory unit and was running a 148 did the 400 and went back to the 142. I think the accelerator pump puts more fuel with the smaller jets. Old starts a lot easier. Half choke two pumps and fires right up.

deerhunter64
03-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Imma swap to a a 400ex carb. Is there a place that sells that's not ebay I can get one from

Shawn Powell
03-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Imma swap to a a 400ex carb. Is there a place that sells that's not ebay I can get one from

I bought a new unit from RockyMountainATV
I'm sure your local Honda dealer also. RM is usually good prices and fast shipping.

350for350
03-12-2017, 09:02 PM
The first thing that came to mind when I read your first post was that it's running lean. It could be a plugged jet though. When I did the 400ex carb swap on mine, I just put the 350x jets in the 400ex carb. Works fine.

Shawn Powell
03-12-2017, 09:47 PM
The first thing that came to mind when I read your first post was that it's running lean. It could be a plugged jet though. When I did the 400ex carb swap on mine, I just put the 350x jets in the 400ex carb. Works fine.

That's where I started also. It was a bit lean and would pop hard after revving it and when I shut it down. Plug was a bit white. Went to a 148 and it bogged. 142 runs real nice. I do have my factory air box though. The one time I ran it without it was a bit lean again. Depends on climate elevation and octane can bump a jet size or two even. But on a factory motor the 138 is a good starting point. Definitely the best bang for the buck mod I've made hp wise.