PDA

View Full Version : 250r or Tri-Z

Preddy05
02-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Hello i'm new to the board and i have a 83 250r and in a couple months i am gonna get another 3 wheeler and i want to get something a little faster i ride alot of trails, hillclimb and have some jumps around here i was thinkin about getting a 85-6 R or a Tri-Z what do you think is a good bike for what i will use it for?
Thanks

smokinwrench
02-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Both are very good machines. I think you will be happy with either one. The 250r is easier to find parts for.

Most people in here will tell you the R is the best.

ATC crazy
02-06-2004, 08:02 PM
As Smokin' said.....either would be nice. But I would take the R over the Z anyday. Parts are better for it, looks better (IMO), and has more power and better egro's.

TeCaTe_MaN
02-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Tecate....but thats just my opinion... :D

TimSr
02-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Both are very good machines. I think you will be happy with either one. The 250r is easier to find parts for.

Most people in here will tell you the R is the best.

I agree with Smokinwrench. The R is easier to get parts for, but neither is difficult.

You did mention hill climbing, and if you do a lot of it, the Z has lot more low end power, especially with a DG pipe. When it comes to hill-climbing, itll kick the R's butt up one side the hill, and back down the other. For this reason, I think its also a better trail machine. The R has noticeably more upper mid range and top end. Both jump very well, and both will seem like a rocket compared to your current ride, and youll be happy with either one. The R is superior on an MX or drag track, but since you didnt mention those things, Ill assume theyre not of the utmost importance to you.

J.D.
02-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Well this is just my 2 cents with a Z.

I recently rebuilt mine with a .010 over Wiseco Pro-Lite piston, put in Boyesen Power Reeds, a 34mm Mikuni Flatside carb, and a K&N clampon airfilter. The power change I have noticed is you let the clutch out in first, you feel the power keep building, about 1/2 through(maybe less) the RPM's it starts pulling hard, and it doesn't let off for me, it pulls all the way until the RPM's quit, this is just my experience and I thought it may help you in your decision. I like my Z alot!

danny_250r
02-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Between these two machines, any pick will satisfy you. It's like choosing between Chevy and Ford. Both are awesome and won't disappoint you.

Trikeaholic
02-07-2004, 11:22 AM
both will seem like a rocket compared to your current ride, .

COME ON! You guys act like the free airs are for little old ladys! :rolleyes:

"rocket"? I dunno about that, certainly different though. Personally, If my only ride was an 83 R, I would probably be looking for a 4 stroke to compliment it. I will say that before my R got a rebuild, it did get beat straightline by the 85 KXT. The old motor in the R had a hard time with 1st to 2nd, and often missed the gear if you were really standing on it. Now with the little bro not around, we cant do that race again, but I would like to see how they would match up now.

Preddy05
02-07-2004, 12:08 PM
I use to have a 86 350x but its my dads now but might as well say its mine because he don't ride much 4 stroke is ok but i like 2 stroke right now i'm thinkin i might go with the tri-z i no 2 people with 85 R and i might get the Z because i don't no anyone around here with one.