PDA

View Full Version : Bought a beater!

freaksfix
12-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Bought a beater sled tonight! It a 78? Moto-Ski, with a Kolher 340 twin free air. I shot some either in the carb, she came to life a little. But it's dumping alot of gas, like the the floats are sticking and instead of going out the over flow its going in the motor? Not a sled person, but for $100 why not?

Give me some pointers sled freaks?

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-06-2002, 02:38 AM
well....moto-ski, that was your first wrong choice, second, are the fuel lines in the right place?, and also the carb could be gunked up inside from bein that old, so i would start with taking the carb apart and cleaning it, then getting it going good, then sell it for a little more than you bought it, then go buy a old ski-doo bombardier, they make much better sleds to beat on, the rotax engines last forever

freaksfix
12-06-2002, 01:12 PM
Yeah carb cleanzing is my first to do ( thank god its got a slide carb, and not a diafram!!) gas lines i dont know, only tinkered for about 15 mins.

As for the Ski-Poo. My first beater ( 2 years ago ) was an Everest with a 440 LC, the day I bought it we dident have any snow but it riped across the grass, it sat for about a month untill we got snow, went to fire it up and had a dead cylinder, so I replaced points, condensers, had the coil checked, and guess what old die hard Rotax POS still dead! Was in need of crank bearings anyway so brought it to the local Ski-Poo shop had them do the crank and get spark ( when they took it apart they said it had a new top end ) and when I got it back still no spark! Ski-doo trained mechanics said "I dont know whats wronrg with it". So I was the proud owner of Rotax with new top end, crank bearings, points, condensers that was good for planting flowers in!

Thats my full life, hands on experience with sleds, so Im not too inpressed with Ski-doo. I did some reading on this Kohler motor it has chrome cylinders! Thats a 2 stroke plus.

I dont need anything speacial, just something to jump snow piles from plowing, and pack the trails down so I can take the 250R out ( 10 times better than any sled!!)

loudpipesavelives
12-06-2002, 01:13 PM
I had the same problem with a Yamaha Exciter 440. If its been sitting a while the floats in the carb can absorb gas and not float like their supposed to. A good and throurogh cleaning wouldnt hurt either. What kind of carbs do you have? I have about 40 vintage sleds that i am parting out and could probably find the right parts for you if your interested. Anybody else that needs vintage sleds parts, let me know and i will see what i can dig up for ya. Thanks

Neal
snoracer25@aol.com

freaksfix
12-11-2002, 03:38 AM
hey I need CDI for that Kohler motor, got one?????????

PowerTrike
12-11-2002, 11:03 PM
:) Moto-skis aint bad at all. But yeah i have to say i am a doo fan. I however bought a beater panther (cat) last year for 150, had the same problem, have since sold it back to someone else for 150.

yeah i'd say rip off the carb and clean it up. or use some of that chemical carb cleaner crap if you must.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-11-2002, 11:07 PM
freaks fix, my neigbor has like a mile long junkyard of old sleds and engines.....i will go try to snag one for you....i will let you know if i get one :)

freaksfix
12-12-2002, 08:17 PM
84ATC250R.......Dude that would be great!!! Its a kOHLER 340, It was used in 78 & 79 Moto Ski's, Artic Cat Z's, Spitfire's, and Jag's....I think the model # is K340-2FA......Thanks!!!!