PDA

View Full Version : Race tech gold valve emulators on 350x

Shawn Powell
03-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Just bought these bad boys today. Until I can get a hold of some of those cartridge fork triple clamps I'll use these. Had them on an older enduro. Made it a different machine. Hopefully going to install on Sunday. I'll post pics and step by steps. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/ef4cfab578ea28ce4ee60a7b2e9d8e49.jpg
This is going to be combined with progressive fork springs and 15w oil set at 5.5" from the top. Pretty excited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arky-X
03-17-2017, 12:19 AM
Following this one Shawn.
I will mail you my forks to rebuild when you are finished with yours :)

Shawn Powell
03-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Following this one Shawn.
I will mail you my forks to rebuild when you are finished with yours :)

Haha. It's a pretty easy mod. I've already had everything apart once. Needed seals when I bought it. Cleaned everything new seals and swapped to the progressive springs and new oil. Didn't do the emulators then. Probably should have. But now I'll appreciate them more after about 500miles of the current setup vs the new one.

Shawn Powell
03-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Didn't make it out to the trail today. Starting front forks https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/3d1b7f1575d693eea1541e88fcbc9ae5.jpg

Ranvier
03-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Didn't make it out to the trail today. Starting front forks https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/3d1b7f1575d693eea1541e88fcbc9ae5.jpg

How do you like those nerf bars? Looking good. Curious how the emulators perform. I believe they were used in the 350x atv on demand build.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3BoVcUKNc_0

Shawn Powell
03-18-2017, 03:35 PM
How do you like those nerf bars? Looking good. Curious how the emulators perform. I believe they were used in the 350x atv on demand build.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3BoVcUKNc_0

I like the nerf bars. I go back and forth on the cosmetics if I like the general look. But as far as quality and functional I love em. And you are correct the emulators were used on the atv on demand. Where I got the idea. And luckily I live maybe 3 miles from race tech. Great people. Hot secretary's also.

Ranvier
03-18-2017, 05:35 PM
I like the nerf bars. I go back and forth on the cosmetics if I like the general look. But as far as quality and functional I love em. And you are correct the emulators were used on the atv on demand. Where I got the idea. And luckily I live maybe 3 miles from race tech. Great people. Hot secretary's also.

Any plans for the rear shock? I am considering options such as race tech or schmidity racing.

Shawn Powell
03-18-2017, 05:37 PM
All right here we go
I am not going to give you a run down on how to disassemble your forks. Get a Honda manual if you don't know how. That's how I learned.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/907c3b80bcd38c19839b238fec4a6af3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/dfe920ded72a51cf87360ae6a44f322a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/9e9bc345ef7c1db2c1f3a4ed6c1ddfb7.jpg
Take everything apart. Now you'll need your damping rod. You have to drill out your existing compression holes with a 5/16 bit. You'll also need to add two more sets of holes. You have to stagger them to avoid weakening the rod. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/3c2ded226da6f97973e1160928e8f46b.jpg
Go above the existing holes with all your new holes as the piston sleeve will cover the lower two of you go below.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/60da944c3db74a85e3beced93c63af86.jpg
The emulator drops right on top of your rod in the tube. Mine was preset to 2 1/2 turns by race tech based on my weight. 205lbs (yeah I know I'm working on it)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/a3cc6de98db5ce54eff512975bbe5043.jpg
Now I have progressive springs wich use a piece of pvc to set your preload. You have to cut off the length of the emulator (3/4")
Race techs set up is the same with there springs. If your actually mx racing these use race techs springs based on your weight. Mines a trail rig. Even race tech agreed the progressives are better for me. I have the .42/90kg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/1a5015e3db51a3dc5284ec9faade2e6a.jpg
I just cut them with a hack saw. Make sure you de bur and clean all metal and plastic shavings from everything super good. It will damage and clog the emulators.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/567ed6c32a7575aa91481a216e14b412.jpg
Now put it all back together. One down one to go and test ride tomorrow.
Between your Honda manual and race techs instructions and tech help this is a easy mod with basic hand tools. Have fun. Any questions just ask and I'll give ride updates tomorrow night.
Oh yeah also I used 15w fork oil set 5.5" from the top of tube. This is per race tech.

Shawn Powell
03-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Any plans for the rear shock? I am considering options such as race tech or schmidity racing.

I rebuilt it myself with race techs gold valve high flow kit , used 10x Honda suspension fluid , and put a 16kg spring on it. Polished her up and put it back on. Works like a charm. I also have a plus 2 swinger from hre. https://uploads.tapatalk-can.com/20170318/067ad0797ab756650b64150c633c59a0.jpg
And race tech recharged it for me also.

atc007
03-18-2017, 06:11 PM
I've been enjoying your posts Shawn. Thanx for sharing.

Shawn Powell
03-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Thanks. Trying to be helpful and contribute but not be annoying.

Ranvier
03-18-2017, 06:35 PM

I agree. Very helpful. Good pics.

Shawn Powell
03-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Oh yeah forgot the stickers. HAVE to install these to get complete effect [emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/4b9b3337a2a519fb6e8603612d0eb7ff.jpg

350for350
03-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Wait, wait wait! Hot secretaries? Pictures or it didn't happen!

Shawn Powell
03-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Wait, wait wait! Hot secretaries? Pictures or it didn't happen!

Haha. I didn't say anything happened. I'm a happily married man sir. Just saying there very nice ladies and real easy on the eyes.

Shawn Powell
03-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Worth every penny. About 35 miles in on my way back and these are great. Forks are much more fluid. Have more travel but no where near bottoming out. Bump steer is almost eliminated. Rebound seems more fluid. And what used to beat my shoulders up in the rocks is now nice and plush. Call race tech. They will change your bike. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170319/5e5040eef705588f05ea3bf69d634e3a.jpg

Ranvier
03-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Worth every penny. About 35 miles in on my way back and these are great. Forks are much more fluid. Have more travel but no where near bottoming out. Bump steer is almost eliminated. Rebound seems more fluid. And what used to beat my shoulders up in the rocks is now nice and plush. Call race tech. They will change your bike. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170319/5e5040eef705588f05ea3bf69d634e3a.jpg

If you had to stage the suspension upgrades, would you start with the forks or rear shock? Thanks for writing this up.

Shawn Powell
03-19-2017, 02:43 PM
If you had to stage the suspension upgrades, would you start with the forks or rear shock? Thanks for writing this up.

You'd be super imbalanced doing one not the other. I'd start with springs front and rear. Then do the valves later. Or collect parts until you have everything. THats basically what I did. Springs together. Then rear shock valves. Then emulators.

350for350
03-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Now I didn't say or imply that anything did happen. We just don't believe without pictures.

Shawn Powell
03-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Now I didn't say or imply that anything did happen. We just don't believe without pictures.

Haha. Yeah I'm gonna be of no help on that one. Last thing I need is to be takin and posting pictures of random girls [emoji12]you're more than welcome to venture on in there and take a peek

wonderboy
03-20-2017, 07:55 AM
I also installed these emulators on my machine. However, I've not spent any time tuning.

Looks like your initial setup was the recommended 15 weight oil and 2.5 turns preload on the emulator. Did you do anything to tweak them from there?

Ranvier
03-20-2017, 03:30 PM
I also installed these emulators on my machine. However, I've not spent any time tuning.

Looks like your initial setup was the recommended 15 weight oil and 2.5 turns preload on the emulator. Did you do anything to tweak them from there?

Are you running progressive springs?

Shawn Powell
03-20-2017, 03:48 PM

No. Figured I'd run them and see how I liked it. Feels a bit loose. Rebound is fine. I might go in there and crank em a half turn. But I'm gonna do another ride to see. I never bottomed out even in the black diamond trails so I'll leave it for now.

Shawn Powell
03-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Sorry. Thought that was directed at me. Carry on

wonderboy
03-21-2017, 07:16 PM
My question was definitely directed at you Shawn. Thanks for your info! I hardly have any run time on my machine with the emulators so I'd like to know where you settle with your setup. My machine isn't using the progressive spring though (to answer Ranvier's question). Hopefully I get a lot more riding in this season than I did last and I can tune as well.

Good luck with your tuning!

Shawn Powell
03-21-2017, 11:11 PM
My question was definitely directed at you Shawn. Thanks for your info! I hardly have any run time on my machine with the emulators so I'd like to know where you settle with your setup. My machine isn't using the progressive spring though (to answer Ranvier's question). Hopefully I get a lot more riding in this season than I did last and I can tune as well.

Good luck with your tuning!

What weight spring did you end up going with and what's your weight? Let me know yours also. Gonna go for another ride next weekend and probably some more miles than last time. I think I like it as is but might tighten it up.

DiamonDon
03-22-2017, 01:35 AM
This thread is a peach already Shawn, thank you!
The pictures, and details of weight & spring selection are very informative and valuable.
Please do share whatever tweaks you make in the future and your feelings about the results with us all :)

Keep at it Shawn, you are already a superb resource, inspiring us new members and 350x project builders!

My question for you: with the increased capacity of your suspension, what is next on your upgrade path?
Me thinks maybe frame gussets would be wise given your plan for new triples and upside down forks.
Thanks again for sharing :)
Don

wonderboy
03-22-2017, 08:10 AM
I went very un-scientific on my spring selection. In fact, I don't remember what springs I stuck in there. I had a large assortment of springs from 200X, 350X, and 250R (83/84). I don't actually remember what I stuck in the tubes, but I had to make a short spacer of PVC, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 350X springs... now that I think about it more, I'm pretty sure it was the 83/84 250R springs.

My plan was to measure the spring rates of the stuff I had using a poor-mans spring rate rig: piece of plumbing pipe held vertically to keep the spring straight, with dumbell weights stacked on top spring, and then measure the deflection. Spring rate = force/deflection. I may have jotted notes but I can't remember what I found out.

So, as for my springs, I'm running something that fit of unknown rate... yea, very scientific! :)

As for myself, I'm about 205-210 (depending on how big of a lie I want to tell).

Now that we're diving back into this topic, I'll have to either locate my notes on the spring rates, or just go and re-measure the different springs I had (just for information).

Shawn Powell
03-22-2017, 11:25 AM
This thread is a peach already Shawn, thank you!
The pictures, and details of weight & spring selection are very informative and valuable.
Please do share whatever tweaks you make in the future and your feelings about the results with us all :)

Keep at it Shawn, you are already a superb resource, inspiring us new members and 350x project builders!

My question for you: with the increased capacity of your suspension, what is next on your upgrade path?
Me thinks maybe frame gussets would be wise given your plan for new triples and upside down forks.
Thanks again for sharing :)
Don

If I ever get the inverted from kit I'll probably do the gusset kit and a big bore motor. Maybe a 426 or 452 kit. But if not I think I'm gonna leave it as be and just ride the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of it. I have a plus 2 swinger and equally rebuilt rear shock I'm happy with. I most likely won't do the big bore motor based on fuel range. I trail ride and go long routes and my next project is a rotopax mount for a 3 gallon can so I can go deep and not worry. Before that I'm actually going to build a 200x with 350x front end a 3 gallon tank Plus auxiliary tank and a mild motor for a trail rider. Smaller motor means better mileage right? So for now , we ride it. Thanks for the compliments

Shawn Powell
03-22-2017, 11:44 AM
I went very un-scientific on my spring selection. In fact, I don't remember what springs I stuck in there. I had a large assortment of springs from 200X, 350X, and 250R (83/84). I don't actually remember what I stuck in the tubes, but I had to make a short spacer of PVC, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 350X springs... now that I think about it more, I'm pretty sure it was the 83/84 250R springs.

My plan was to measure the spring rates of the stuff I had using a poor-mans spring rate rig: piece of plumbing pipe held vertically to keep the spring straight, with dumbell weights stacked on top spring, and then measure the deflection. Spring rate = force/deflection. I may have jotted notes but I can't remember what I found out.

So, as for my springs, I'm running something that fit of unknown rate... yea, very scientific! :)

As for myself, I'm about 205-210 (depending on how big of a lie I want to tell).

Now that we're diving back into this topic, I'll have to either locate my notes on the spring rates, or just go and re-measure the different springs I had (just for information).

Yeah 84 250r springs are stiffer than 350x springs so you went the right route. Really depends on how you like it. If not I like the progressive spring kit for trails. If you want a more responsive feel for high speed stuff and racing race tech is great

Ranvier
03-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Any idea what weight the stock springs were designed for? I am tempted to throw the emulators in as is. In gear I'm probably 175#.

Shawn Powell
03-22-2017, 12:16 PM
Any idea what weight the stock springs were designed for? I am tempted to throw the emulators in as is. In gear I'm probably 175#.

I personally wouldn't recommend that. You'd have to lose your upper springs to properly set your preload and I think with drilling out your compression holes on your damping rod you'd be so soft it would be a disaster. If anything I would do springs and new heavier ,15w maybe,oil first. Set your oil to factory specs (10 ounces) and run that. Then when you can do the emulators your already set with parts. I could be wrong. Call race tech and talk to Brad. He's the one who set up mine and the the atv on demand mx racer.

Ranvier
03-22-2017, 01:06 PM
I personally wouldn't recommend that. You'd have to lose your upper springs to properly set your preload and I think with drilling out your compression holes on your damping rod you'd be so soft it would be a disaster. If anything I would do springs and new heavier ,15w maybe,oil first. Set your oil to factory specs (10 ounces) and run that. Then when you can do the emulators your already set with parts. I could be wrong. Call race tech and talk to Brad. He's the one who set up mine and the the atv on demand mx racer.

Thanks Shawn. I only want to open them up once if possible. I see progressive springs online for less than. 100 a pair. I'm planning on mixed trails and some MX.

Shawn Powell
03-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Well if you can swing the springs and emulators at the same time then do that or collect parts of you only wanna open them up once. The emulators are about 165$ plus shipping. Worth every penny. Your a bit lighter than me so I'd give my unprofessional opinion the progressives would be great for you for mixed riding. Keep in mind for the springs you only have to pop the top tube cap and drain and refill. Much easier than the emulators. So if you did it twice not as bad.

Shawn Powell
04-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Holy bump! Hasn't been that long. Took her out for another ride today. Can't see myself adjusting these as they ride great. 5psi of air in my front tire and feels great. I might actually open my rear shock up and loosen up the valves in that. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/911a11484a7468d2c3874764994de95d.jpg

Shawn Powell
05-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Gonna add this for the race tech suspension interested. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170505/22ad3790d7105c2e5187add476a2440b.jpg
Not gonna do a whole break down but if you have questions ask. Race tech will do this for you for 100$. It's pretty hard to do. You need some special tools. That being said I did it. Haven't ridden it yet but hopefully next weekend. The valve holes are huge difference. Plus you go to 2.5 w oil.

big specht
05-05-2017, 06:12 PM
No link? But those valves do sound interesting.

wonderboy
05-05-2017, 07:36 PM
You're always a couple steps ahead of me Shawn! I've got my shock stripped down and was putting off ordering the gold valve, seals, and oil until I figure out if I'm doing my kids 200x shock at the same time... Let us know how it goes! Are you going to run the stock spring or one of the racetech recommended rates? For a 210 pound rider (me) it recommended a 16.1 kg/mm spring (stiff).

Shawn Powell
05-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Wonderboy I already have the 16.1kg spring. I had a buddy modify my stock shim pack originally. But the valve in comparison is like a different animal. I had leaky seals is how it got started the first time. When I got the bike I actually got two shocks ( among other parts) so this is actually my spare shock. Keep in mind when you order the gold valve order race techs oil also. They change it to 2.5 weight to flow better. Allegedly it's a synthetic that won't break down even under terrible conditions.

Shawn Powell
05-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Modified shim pack 1985 shock on the right vs 1986 race tech gold valve custom shim pack on the left. Doesn't look like much difference but the new one moves WAY easier and smoother. With race techs 16 kg spring (actually an eibach) this should make a big difference. I'll update next weekend hopefully I can get out to the trail. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/257047a3b3bff518cd97d2b8b9962d46.jpg

Shawn Powell
05-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Fully assembled and installed. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/db3ede93033412c8704d6a208adbf0fd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/bd9305da792835612cabe9bb1d9ea300.jpg
Some initial thoughts is with almost no preload on the spring there's quite a bit more sag. I'm not against it but I hope it doesn't bottom out. Probably won't as there's 2 compression stages. So with this I have a stiffer spring 16kg vs 4.6kg and what seems to be a softer shock. I'll let you know next weekend lol

wonderboy
05-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Preload the spring until it sags about a third through the travel with you on it (still 2/3 to go until bottomed out).

Shawn Powell
05-07-2017, 01:45 AM
Preload the spring until it sags about a third through the travel with you on it (still 2/3 to go until bottomed out).

That's about where about I'm at now. Just more than before with the heavy spring and stock shim packs

LuckyChicken
05-14-2017, 04:52 PM
I got a rear spring from him..went progressive springs on front but plan on adding these

Shawn Powell
05-14-2017, 05:47 PM
I got a rear spring from him..went progressive springs on front but plan on adding these

Worth every penny. Also the rear gold balance. Huge difference. Although there rebound settin is a bit springy for me. But easy to rebuild.

wonderboy
05-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Hey Shawn,
I just got my rear shock gold valve in the mail, and went to do the on-line valving search (racetech.com, DVS) to put my stack together but it didn't work. I put my code in and it didn't show me anything for the rear shock. Did you have to call them to figure out your valving stack? What did you wind up using for your valving stack?

Shawn Powell
05-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Hey Shawn,
I just got my rear shock gold valve in the mail, and went to do the on-line valving search (racetech.com, DVS) to put my stack together but it didn't work. I put my code in and it didn't show me anything for the rear shock. Did you have to call them to figure out your valving stack? What did you wind up using for your valving stack?

Yeah mine didn't either. I went down there( luxury or living 2 miles away) but if you call them and ask for the tech guys they can either email it to you or tell you wich ones are for you. they are on that sheet they gave you. There rebound was way off for my preference. Gonna go Am through it again myself.

Shawn Powell
05-21-2017, 12:50 AM
Hey Shawn,

Here's a snap of mine. Keep in mind I'm 200 lbs and have a plus 2 swingarm witch they factored in and the rebound is way too loose imo. Compression feels softer but I never bottomed out but I also had mad spring. So I think I'm gonna bump one compression and maybe three rebound setting and rework this week. Have fun. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/f02009db615d0c16aecede06339cf5a6.jpg

wonderboy
05-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Thanks for that! I'm very close to your weight, but with a stock swing-arm length. I'll call them today once they are open and see what they can do for me.