PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x transmission assembly

dirtydozn
03-17-2017, 09:00 PM
hey guys so I am about to put my 200x engine back together and I was reading up first and one note in the Honda manual said after putting in the gears and shift forks and drum to make sure that it is in neutral but gave no indication as hoe to tell what position everything should be in to make that happen any suggestions or guidance would be helpful. thanks ps does the Clymer manual have more info than Honda one

YTZ drew
03-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Rotate the drum all the way in one direction, then back half a position to neutral. Can't remember which direction at the moment, but it will be obvious. Wrong direction and you'll be in 4th instead of neutral.

x-rider
03-18-2017, 02:08 PM
99.9 % positive this is the neutral position. 240837

YTZ drew
03-19-2017, 05:03 PM
There's no way to tell from that pic. Try to hold the mainshaft while turning the countershaft, or vice versa. You'll be able to tell if it's in neutral.

YTZ drew
03-19-2017, 05:05 PM
And while you're at it, finish cleaning the gasket surface, that thing is filthy. You're asking for a leak if you leave all that old gasket material on the mating surfaces. I use a NEW razor blade, and scrape very carefully. If it starts to miss old material or gouge, time to change the blade.

greenhaze20
03-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Do your gears spin freely when you shift to different gears. I am at the same point on my motor build but when i shift to all the different gears the transmission locks up and only turns a half a turn in either direction and then locks up.