PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 125M Build.

culp7
03-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Long story short, I picked the bike up on CL for $200 in a non running condition. The PO told me it just needed the carb cleaned but that turned out to not be true. Cleaned carb, and with weak spark wouldnt fire with ether.

Tried adjusting timing, but when I put a bit of pressure on the rotor to check advance was moving freely, the rotor turned a bit on the shaft. Turns out the bolt that holds it to the cam wasn't the tightest. Flywheel remained on "F" the entire time and I tried to put the rotor back where it was.

After adjustING air gap, still no sputter.

Did I screw my timing up bad? What should I do tl next to get back to spec?

culp7
03-22-2017, 11:04 PM
Bump for update. I'm worried the rotor is sitting wrong on the cam now to clarify. Thanks.

350for350
03-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Either buy a manual for it or download it at oscarmayer.net. A service manual will tell you how to make sure it's in time.

ironchop
03-23-2017, 10:59 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

You can download the manual from here. It's hard to describe what to look for over the net but the instructions in there are easy to use.

If you say the rotor spins on the cam because the bolt was loose, that's not ok. There is a pin on the cam that keeps that rotor from doing that even if the bolt is a little loose. See illustration on page 11. It's very tiny and can fall out of the cam sometimes when you have it apart. All your timing info to line up your components correctly is also on that page of the manual download in that link.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk