PDA

View Full Version : 250r swing arm bolt

rugbyflanker
03-23-2017, 10:27 PM
Trying to get the swing arm bolt out of the parts trike I bought. Have been soaking it in PB Blaster for a week. Tried to put it in the bearing press, but it just bent the frame and pushed the whole works over.

Any other ideas to try and save the bolt and the swing arm? Or is it decide between one or the other?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/afdce2a026921f650d0b7d8458f273e4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/035c034d7e1a599cec25e762c4d0695e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yaegerb
03-23-2017, 11:12 PM
Uh, cut it out with the sawzall, you aren't saving that bolt.

ironchop
03-23-2017, 11:25 PM
DAYUMMMM!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

barnett468
03-23-2017, 11:29 PM
It bent the frame because you didn't have a collar over the bolt . It may have also come out if you did.

KROIL oil works far better than pb blaster.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

RIDE-RED 250r
03-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Sometimes you just have to cut em out. Unfortunately the swingarm is sacrificed in the process most of the time. I had the bolt on one of my 85's refuse to come out despite my best efforts with heat, penetrating oil, and a press. Smoke wrench had to me employed...Better to lose the swingarm than ruin the frame.

atc007
03-24-2017, 10:04 AM
I strongly disagree with Barnett on the kroil,,,NOT a fan,except the smell and pretty color lol..but do agree on the collar . That bolt will come out. You have to decide if it's worth the struggle and permanent tendon damage. You will need the frame SOLIDLY secured, As in heavy solid,so it cannot lose any force. Heat everything red hot and a massive slam hammer welded to the end of the bolt. If you google 250R swingarm bolt removal,Pocoloco from here has a youtube video or two. It is NOT fun,but those bolts are not easy to find either.

barnett468
03-24-2017, 10:26 AM
I strongly disagree with Barnett on the kroil,,,NOT a fan,...

Why is that?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

atc300r
03-24-2017, 10:28 AM
I have cut out 3 250r swingarm bolts 2 83-84 1 85. I cut them out with a hacksaw. I used a small car jack and put enough pressure on the frame so the blade wouldn't bind and the saw wouldn't cut into the frame. I also cut the head side of the bolt first and was able to tip the swingarm out with one cut.If you want to save both swingarm and bolt Id cut the frame out by the bolt ,put swingarm in a hydraulic press with some heat.

atc300r
03-24-2017, 11:12 AM
If you cut the bolt try and save the section that the rear brake pedal goes on. OlDeuce had a post on making a new bolt using a first gen 250r front axle and the piece I mentioned.I will try and find it.

Hurley250R
03-24-2017, 11:13 AM
You can replace the bolt with a 400EX or 450R unit. I've had to cut one before, its a PITA. But it's the easiest way, I doubt you will be able to hammer it out without really trashing the bolt and the frame.

Edit: I was thinking the ATC pivot bolt was the same as the TRX units but I am guessing they are different?

atc300r
03-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Second gen 250r swingarm bolt is longer than liquid r bolt plus it has a stem on the right side for the rear brake pedal.
You can replace the bolt with a 400EX or 450R unit. I've had to cut one before, its a PITA. But it's the easiest way, I doubt you will be able to hammer it out without really trashing the bolt and the frame.

Edit: I was thinking the ATC pivot bolt was the same as the TRX units but I am guessing they are different? 83-84 250r swingarm bolt 241145

atc007
03-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Why is that?

I bought a few cans at the recommendation of a thread on here. I think my goats pee would work better. I've tried it on my entire fleet,especially disappointing on my dozer. Where I needed it the most. I believe there are some official tests where it finishes way below home made remedies. I'm just not a fan. They will never get another cent of mine. Here is the video how to do these bolts,however. In this video, he is losing easily 80% of his force by the bike not being securely strapped down to the concrete. You must have the frame secured like a tank,so your force is all transferred into the bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUEHnV-1Gk

rugbyflanker
03-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Thank you all for the responses. The frame was junk already, the down tube was bend over and I had to cut it to get one of the motor mount bolts out.

I should have done a better job of beefing the frame up around the bolt in the press with a collar. That was a pretty half assed set up in had going on. I will try to beef that up and heat the piss out of it this weekend and let you know if it worked or if I trashed it (which may very well be the case already)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

barnett468
03-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Heating it is a waste of time . There is no way to get enough heat in it to have an affect because it won't penetrate thru the arm to the bushing.

barnett468
03-24-2017, 10:55 PM
I bought a few cans at the recommendation of a thread on here. I think my goats pee would work better. I've tried it on my entire fleet,especially disappointing on my dozer. Where I needed it the most.

So how did you definitively determine that it it is not far superior to pb blaster?

Did you do some type of comparison test?