PDA

View Full Version : S Town

83ATC185
03-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Anybody listen to this? An interesting story about a guy that lived in the same county i do. It may mean a lot more to me than it does you guys, as i know some of the guys in the story and a lot of what they reference and i gotta say there is a lot to be learned from John McLemore. Give it a listen if you're bored one rainy day! https://stownpodcast.org/

keister
03-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Started listening to it yesterday. I am halfway through Chapter 2 right now. So far, so good.

keister
04-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Got up to Chapter 4 over the weekend. It was a very strange coincidence that a coworker got me started on this the day before you started the thread.
For those of you familiar with the Podcast format, this is a very good one.
I am pretty captivated by the story and will likely finish it this week.
It is a nice change / something new to listen to.
I spend 1 hour each day in my truck on my way to work and back, so I do get bored.

Then I got to wondering if there was a correlation between S-Town and you list your home as TTown.
The only TTown I have ever known is Green Bay (but they actually call that Title Town).
Although..... I guess Tuscaloosa would have reasons to call itself Titletown too.

ironchop
04-03-2017, 01:12 PM
.... It was a very strange coincidence that a coworker got me started on this the day before you started the thread....

Or was it?

Hmmmm!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

83ATC185
04-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Indeed we do ;)

Nah no correlation...local people always just call it ttown, out of sheer laziness i suppose...although there is a bridge here with "title town" painted underneath...

If you were to see Woodstock you would never guess that you would find someone like John living here.
Its literally an intersection with a gas station and Foodland and the "Little Caesars Pizza Hut". They refuse to sell booze, so the county remains dry, steering away any businesses that would help Bibb thrive.
I worked for KyKenKee for a year and a half right out of high school. Can't say that was my calling :lol:

Its interesting to note that we have the mercedes plants, and a multi-million dollar lumber industry within 2 miles of each other, along with many smaller businesses, yet the county is largely lower middle class if not in poverty.

fabiodriven
04-04-2017, 09:08 AM
I got into the fourth chapter yesterday and fell asleep somewhere in there.

keister
04-04-2017, 09:50 AM
I got into the fourth chapter yesterday and fell asleep somewhere in there.

His voice is very soothing, but since I'm listening while driving, I'm going to try to avoid that.

keister
04-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Link to some pictures:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/photogallery/DA/20170328/POLL/328009993/PH/1?start=2

fabiodriven
04-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks a lot for posting this. I finished listening to it yesterday, so it took me about two days? I want to comment some on the story, but I don't want to give anything away for others who haven't yet listened.

What I couldn't help but notice? is the odd cadence in which Brian, the narrator speaks? and his odd use of indicating a question not even always at the end of the sentence or his thought. I get the impression the narrator is doing this on purpose? because I was able to pick up on the pattern and predict when he was going to speak that way.

I am glad I listened to this and I'm not trying to pick it apart or anything, rather just critique it I guess. I feel like the narrator's cadence and odd use of indicating questions? as well as his ability to tell a story? are the strong points in the success of this podcast. I feel it would have been very easy for many people to have given up on this story? after the initial claims changed so much from the beginning. Bravo to Brian for his ability to capture an audience and tell a story!