PDA

View Full Version : Hey from Georgia

Lunatic Larry
03-31-2017, 10:36 AM
Ok so it's been a few years since I rode a three wheeler or anything on dirt. Now my friends think I'm crazy about anything I do. Hence the name.... not my choice but hey!!!!! I do live up to it a lot of the time.
So I heard from my grapevine of friends about a friend of a friend that had this 3 wheel thing in his barn.. claim it has sat their for years.. he bought it for his fence business to tow a trailer with materials. On his first job he figured out he bought the one without reverse.. so he parked it and bought the right one, that he worked to death. The other one keep getting pushed further back in the barn and their it sat until I dug it out... it was covered with years of crap! I knew it was a Yamaha and nothing else until I hit it with pressure washer and bleach. Turns out my barn find is a 1984 225DX Yamaha...felt like a kid at Christmas
Everything intact....tires dry rotted of course. Cleaned carburetor. Replaced battery, added gas saw it leaking straight out. Went to bike shop a got/installed fuel petcock. Tried again. She fired right up....
Have replaced tires. A beer flag whip.....just to be seen...
So after 33 years this baby has seen the light of day again. I need to deep clean the plastic back to new color. I can tell the difference because I remove a decal during the cleaning. Whoops.
Getting ready to change the oils today and put this to good use.
I believe I will now be looking for my next one.
Thank you for letting me join and can't wait to hit the trails with this baby and my new friends....I'm sure to
Make at riding areas.

brad_583
03-31-2017, 01:06 PM
What part of GA are you in?
I am in acworth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big G
03-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Nothing like a good barn find! Post up some pics :beer

Lunatic Larry
03-31-2017, 03:12 PM
Mableton
Looks like you have a few toys

Rob Canadian
03-31-2017, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the 'hood.
Awesome find. Love the beer whip. :)

ironchop
03-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Great score

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

atc007
03-31-2017, 08:29 PM
Welcome Larry. That plastic will come right back to brand new. Problem is, it will be wet sanding till your arms fall off. The great news is, Yamahas plastic is by far the easiest to get back. Start with 800ish wet sand paper and work your way up to 2000. Then buff with a buffer and your choice of polishing compound,then wax. If you would trade that or sell it please keep me in mind,what a beauty.

Lunatic Larry
03-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info
Need to build up the arms for sanding lol

Lunatic Larry
03-31-2017, 08:41 PM
Thanks ironchopi got lucky if you look in the background of the beer flag photo you will see my other find. A 1972 C30 old bread truck. Going to polish it to shiny aluminum and clear coat. This is going to be my tow vehicle for toys.