PDA

View Full Version : just how dangerous are those things? FACTS

goodoldad
04-18-2017, 01:10 AM
I have been in contact with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources about 3 wheelers....

THE FACTS:

2011 thru 2016 there was ONE fatal accident involving a 3 wheeler (there were 37 actual reported accidents according to the DNR spokesperson)

2011 thru 2016 there were NINETY fatal accidents involving a 4 wheeler (since 2003 there are so many accidents on 4 wheelers they don't to bother total for general public records)

ebaccm26
04-18-2017, 02:07 AM
I like you're enthusiasm but the reality of it is these numbers are probably so different because the number of people riding 3 wheelers vs the number of people riding 4 wheelers is likely very different. Without knowing how many people have ridden 3/4 wheelers during that time period you can't make a fair comparison as to the rate of accidents on each machine. There could be 90 fatalities vs 1 fatality because there was 90 times as many people riding 4 wheelers.

3 Wheel Drive
04-18-2017, 02:08 AM
How many death have there been on 2 wheels, or cars?

Herboso
04-18-2017, 08:38 AM
I like you're enthusiasm but the reality of it is these numbers are probably so different because the number of people riding 3 wheelers vs the number of people riding 4 wheelers is likely very different. Without knowing how many people have ridden 3/4 wheelers during that time period you can't make a fair comparison as to the rate of accidents on each machine. There could be 90 fatalities vs 1 fatality because there was 90 times as many people riding 4 wheelers.

That is a very solid point. You don't see many people riding 3 wheelers anymore so it is reasonable there would be less accidents involving them. Also, perhaps the remaining 3 wheelers out there are owned and operated by die-hard enthusiasts that are more experienced and skilled???? I believe 3 wheelers got a bad rap. I also believe there was a certain amount of naivete and irresponsible behavior that setup the demise of the 3 wheeler. 4 wheelers were the answer I guess but there have been a tremendous number of people hurt on them too but there does not seem to be the same outcry. I don't like seeing people get hurt (or myself for that matter. Broke my leg riding my dirt bike last year) but its part of the risk we face in life. We do stuff all the time in life that involves risk assessment and choice in order to have experiences and fulfillment. Sometimes we get hurt but God willing we come out okay but if not we should take responsibility for our role in the choices.

mendoAu
04-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Just could be that all the unlucky 3 wheelers have already departed and the few of us luckier ones know there limitations...just perhaps. And this from a guy that dang near went sailing about twenty feet off the dirt road into the creek yesturday, big ol rubber boots equal "easy to miss the brake pedal"....ha!

Spencer2986
04-19-2017, 07:13 AM
First time I rode one it was certainly different than the 4 wheeler I was used to riding. Hard turns you needed to be off the seat to counterbalance the trike where the quads needed a little shift in weight. Time and practice will certainly keep you safe. Everyone may think they got the hang of it from only a few rides when in reality it takes a long time to actually become a good rider.

atctim
04-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Any Tom Dick or Harry can go buy a quad and take up "quad riding" with little or NO experience. This is where many of the quad accidents come from. Beginners riding outside of their skill set. 3 Wheelers on the other hand, as far as I can tell, are becoming a very niche small experienced group. If someone is getting started into ATV riding, chances are probably 99.99% they will go buy a quad rather than an old used trike. The people still riding trikes these days for the most part are very experienced with them, thus many less accidents on trikes. Just my opinion, but the skill set VS what are you riding makes a big difference. Normally schmucks ride quads, and purist manly men ride trikes.

350for350
04-20-2017, 09:40 PM
The most tragic quad accidents, in my opinions, are the ones where someone buys their kid/s or grandkid/s a small quad to ride and then use it as a babysitter. I've seen it a few times and fortunately, haven't seen a serious accident. I've also seen people buy their kids small quads for them to ride and they actually take the time to be there to watch the kids. It's amazing to see these types out on the trails with their kids hanging right there with them. If you're just trying to find a babysitter for your kids, at least Barney never caused any hospital visits!