PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Please

Jaywood1207
04-20-2017, 09:24 PM
I have a 1986 250sx that is in excellent shape. I bought it from a friend in 1988 and since then it has maybe been driven a couple hours per year. Yes per year. It now needs a little TLC from sitting. I am picking up tires this weekend and have a petcock on order. The only other thing I am contemplating is a front fender which is where I would like the opinion. The fender was cracked when I got it and as a teenager I tried to fix it with some bondo and paint. Needless to say that did not work well. Am I better off taking off the bondo and stitching it together or ordering a aftermarket replacement. I really want to try and keep the bike original but also like things to look nice as well. As a side note I have plans to fix a dent in the tank and get it repainted and put new decals on it. What do you think keeping in mind value and aesthetics?

deejaycee_2000
04-21-2017, 02:31 AM
You can find original fenders trhat is still in good condition on ebay if you do not want to go aftermarket.

fabiodriven
04-21-2017, 03:08 AM
You can find original fenders trhat is still in good condition on ebay if you do not want to go aftermarket.

OEM? I don't think so.

If your OEM fender has a crack, that's it. It's never going to be worth much at that point so no harm in drilling and stitching. You can get an aftermarket replacement fender if that's the route you want to go.

Jaywood1207
04-21-2017, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. I was more questioning desirability or value of the bike with a stitched original vs an aftermarket if I decide to sell it down the road.

fabiodriven
04-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. I was more questioning desirability or value of the bike with a stitched original vs an aftermarket if I decide to sell it down the road.

And I answered.

atctim
04-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Personally I would look for a good used SX fender, but that is just me. It may take some time to find one, and it won't be cheap, but a Maier-MFG new aftermarket fender will not be a great match for the already worn OEM fenders, and it is also a bit off on the color. Just my $0.02

knappyfeet
04-21-2017, 11:27 AM
I've seen oem pop up every now and then.

I would plastic weld it before I EVER drilled holes in it. A guy on ebay sees original plastic strip for welding.

As far as originality?.........unless the tank was completely toast i wouldnt repaint. Your only original once and your story with it is part of its history. A bump or bruise here or there is more character than a major devaluation.

Jaywood1207
04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
And I answered.

Not really but that's okay. You said a cracked and stitched fender was not worth much and I agree. There was no mention on what that does to the value of the bike vs having an aftermarket on which is my question. ;)

fabiodriven
04-21-2017, 12:34 PM
OK if it's not worth much stitched then take a wild guess what that's going to do to the overall value of the bike.

350for350
04-21-2017, 09:22 PM
I would much rather have a trike with an aftermarket fender instead of a stitched one. I'd also recommend trying the plastic welding route before stitching.

Rob Canadian
04-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Ontario Canada?

I keep an eye on Kijiji for stuff. Came across a OEM 200X front fender out of the blue...

Jaywood1207
04-22-2017, 10:13 PM
Ontario Canada?

I keep an eye on Kijiji for stuff. Came across a OEM 200X front fender out of the blue...

Woodstock Ontario. I've been looking and have a couple places I'm going to check out that are out of the way and may have something.

UPNATM
04-22-2017, 10:33 PM
Personally I would look for a good used SX fender, but that is just me. It may take some time to find one, and it won't be cheap, but a Maier-MFG new aftermarket fender will not be a great match for the already worn OEM fenders, and it is also a bit off on the color. Just my $0.02

👆 x2.

Jaywood, any pics of said SX you could post up?

Jaywood1207
04-23-2017, 08:03 AM
�� x2.

Jaywood, any pics of said SX you could post up?

I have the rear rack for it as well.

LuckyChicken
06-08-2017, 08:48 AM
After market ones suck imo I've had both oem are better