PDA

View Full Version : help with starter on 85 big red250se

tootall
05-12-2017, 02:52 PM
the starter spins bot not the motor . I had the side cover off and all the gears are good . it sat for years and I got it running a yr ago it and the engine was ceased and the starter worked then .now I got it going again but the starter just spins but not the engine . is it the one way clutch? it kick starts easy . but its for wiffy any help would be nice thanks

shortline10
05-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Yes it's the one way bearing behind the flywheel that needs replaced .

atc007
05-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Wow. I have never seen one so bad the starter actually freewheels?? It never catches? It just free spins? Damn. I've seen the starter splines gone smooth and many chips off the reduction gears,but never this. Learn something everyday !

tootall
05-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Yes it's the one way bearing behind the flywheel that needs replaced .

thanks .do you got a link to it ? or part # I see to many on ebay not to sure which one to get and a fly wheel puller .

shortline10
05-12-2017, 07:45 PM
I've seen were the battery has been connected backwards causing this same issue . Check your connections .

mendoAu
05-13-2017, 03:13 AM
Tried to upload the page from my 84 200es and think it's similar if not the same. There's a thread somewhere here about the disassembly of that area... couldn't find it. The "starter clutch" consists of three spring loaded bearings enclosed in a two piece case and might need cleaned or replaced. Been having a problem with mine and just got new springs in town so hoping that will fix it. Mine makes a hella clank and sometimes engages and some times not. The pull starter does not use that clutch but goes directly on the crank....