PDA

View Full Version : 250sx forks question

Jrobbins
05-17-2017, 09:45 PM
I have a YTM225dx. I was planning on putting a tri z triple tree and forks on it, but a 250sx front came up for sale locally. Would the sx front end be a decent upgrade or would I be better off getting the tri z set up? The tri z front end is about a 2 hour drive from me (Phoenix, az, I'm in Tucson) and has a minor bend at the top of the forks just below where they would slide into the tree. I would have to find a shop to straighten them, but has a factory front fender in really good shape. They are both about the same price not including fuel costs. Thanks in advance for any input.

Jrobbins
05-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Also does the 250sx use a disk front brake or drum?

350for350
05-17-2017, 10:11 PM
The sx has a drum brake from the factory. I'm not sure about the difficulty of putting a Honda front end on a Yamaha. Honestly, I think that you may be better off using the TriZ front end despite the long drive. Ideally, you could buy both and then hang onto the sx front end for future use or possible trading material.

Jrobbins
05-18-2017, 01:17 AM
I think I will go with the tri z. Thank you for the input, now just to find a shop that can hopefully straighten them. I'll try and post a picture and get your guy's opinion on them. What would be a good price on the tri z tree, forks, fender and wheel tire, hub all still mounted? He said he'd take $125 but I'd still have to get the forks straightened. Is that a fair price or should I try going lower?

350for350
05-18-2017, 08:31 PM
I think it's a good price, but I'm always looking for the best deal. I say try to get it for less. Use the fact that you have to get the forks straightened as leverage. Just my opinion.

Jrobbins
05-18-2017, 09:23 PM
I was planning on trying to negotiate lower but wanted to make sure we were in the ballpark. I think I found a local shop to straighten them also, they are an old school motorcycle and dirt bike shop that has been ran by a father and sons since the 50's.