PDA

View Full Version : '85 250es "funky" key switch

placek59
05-26-2017, 02:32 AM
Hey all,
I nabbed an old 250es big red last week that was close by on craigslist. The owner said it had'nt ran in 4 years or so since he had some medical problems and now is getting worse so selling his old toys. Anyway... it had good compression so I took a chance. I can get it to fire on carb cleaner and got a new battery and the electric start seems to work great.

However, the key/ignition switch is really finicky. I have to jiggle it and leave it in just the right spot for the neutral light to stay on. That is when it will fire up. Does anyone have a way to test the switch? Are there any connections under the headlight that would cause a problem? Thanks in advance

jeswinehart
05-26-2017, 06:12 AM
Nearly all the 250 Bigred wires converge inside the 4 inch square box below headlight wire extension bucket. It has a couple of fuses, spare fuse,,, connections and such inside.
If your switch doesn't show signs of abuse perhaps just squirter some WD-40 in key slot and see if it improves fuction.

john

Big G
05-26-2017, 02:34 PM
However, the key/ignition switch is really finicky. I have to jiggle it and leave it in just the right spot for the neutral light to stay on. That is when it will fire up. Does anyone have a way to test the switch? Are there any connections under the headlight that would cause a problem? Thanks in advance

Yep, I have the same problem with my '85 250ES. Just started doing this in the last year or so. I have to turn it on/off/on/off SEVERAL times and then just find that sweet spot between on/off for the neutral light to come on. I'm not sure if it's the contacts inside that need to be cleaned up or what. I remember reading a post about taking the switch apart and cleaning it. I'm just gonna buy a new one though. It's on my to do list to order from Beatrice Cycle.

fabiodriven
05-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Not a Big Red but my DR did the same thing. Contacts inside the ignition switch were bad. I replaced the ignition switch.

350for350
05-26-2017, 09:46 PM
It sounds to me like you need to replace the switch. You may be able to get by with cleaning the contacts, but then again, maybe not. Besides, it's over 30 years old,. It probably has alot of wear. New Honda switches are about $40. I recently did the 250ES switch conversion on my 250SX. It was so easy that I wondered why I tried to find a cheaper one. I'm very happy that I did. Maybe it was because it didn't come with an ignition switch and I was afraid that all of the wires weren't there.

Tactical_Lever
05-28-2017, 11:47 PM
Sounds like a bad contact in the switch. I would take it apart and clean it up.

It'll get you going faster and give you a better idea of how it works.

And the bonus is you'll save a few bucks, and have a better idea on what to do next time.

Especially if you buy a new switch and it corrodes prematurely.

You might find the housing needs a little sealing and the switch could use a little dielectric grease.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

atc007
05-29-2017, 07:15 AM
Yes. Pull the switch out. You pinch two plastic ears together to get it out. Turn it upside down the best you can and spray it out liberally with ether,contact cleaner,whatever good degreaser you have. Working the key in and out as you do this. It takes 4 hands :) Work the key while spraying. Then follow up with WD 40 and work that in. If all this fails ,,, 3 minutes gone lol. That switch comes apart, pop her apart and clean it by hand. She will almost certainly work just as new again. Done it 100 times. I have also seen the wires loose and need touched back up on the solder points.