PDA

View Full Version : Runaway 225dr!!

TrustMeImALawyr
05-27-2017, 07:55 PM
I'm in desperate need of help with this--hopefully someone on here has experienced the same problem, or knows the solution...

OK, a few months ago I bought a 1985 225DR. When I bought it, there were a few missing parts... I decided to strip the machine down to the frame, sandblast it, repaint and restore (including a LOT of money spent on new OEM parts). The engine pull started fine and ran prior to being pulled from the frame. Fast forward two months... Everything is put back together, and I put fuel in the gas tank. I hit the electric starter. It cranked for awhile... nothing. Cranked it again eight more times. Still no start. I eventually spritzed some starter fluid into the brand new carb. It took off like a rocket. And when I say like a rocket, I mean FULL 100% throttle, revved as high as mechanically possible. Then it died. Spritzed more starter fluid in again, same results--NO response to throttle whatsoever when it starts to die.

This is what I did:

1) Checked the throttle assembly, it has the proper slack. I can see it working correctly in the carb.
2) Removed the float bowl on carb, there's gas in there.
3) Removed the new fuel line, there's gas flow.
4) Looked in gas tank, there's no obstruction to the fuel petcock assembly.
5) Pulled spark plug, and hit starter button while grounding plug... spark is visible.
6) Checked spark plug gap-- .028, within spec.
7) Swapped in 'old' carb (I had bought a new one from Wincycles), same result with engine taking off like a rocket, then dying. Still zero throttle response as I apply the throttle as it dies.

If it matters, I purchased a new coil and starter relay assembly and installed those. There is an aftermarket exhaust on it, which I have since disconnected, thinking maybe there was an obstruction or SOMETHING causing the engine to take off like it does (I was desperate for a change in engine behavior). What I CANNOT figure out is why the engine takes off at full throttle at startup... I even went so far as to disconnect the throttle from the carb on startup with the same results.

The worst part about this is that I invested a lot of money in OEM parts in an attempt to save this three wheeler... when I started it my wife (who was against the purchase to begin with), stood by and gleefully exclaimed "See, I told you..." after the problem began. I really hate that.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion??? I'm willing to try anything at this point to get it going again without taking off like a rocket, and responding to throttle and idling like it should. THANK YOU!

yaegerb
05-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Sounds like the slide is backwards or you have a massive air leak.

YamaBoss
05-28-2017, 12:22 AM
Check your choke cable. Might be tight or routed wrong. These things are very picky.

TrustMeImALawyr
05-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Check your choke cable. Might be tight or routed wrong. These things are very picky.

That was it!! I adjusted the choke cable and it started up without the need for starting fluid. It still runs crappy, but I can work with that now that it at least starts on it's own. THANK YOU YamaBoss! :p