PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify this engine

Fruitfarmer231
05-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Bought an XR200 from a guy that installed a ATC 200 engine or so he said in this chassis. The serial number is TB05E-2525639 and has a dual range transmission, I gather from the presence of a second splined stub. The website says it's an 83 model engine. The recoil, I'm not sure is original because there is an elongated hole, that must have had a rubber plug on the upper side of the recoil. I can't find a parts diagram that shows this rubber plug in any of the parts diagrams I've pulled up. The recoils I've seen don't have this slot cut in them? This engine doesn't seem to have provisions for a decompression cable either. It doesn't have an electric starter either. I suppose I could just tape over the slot, actually have, or cut out a piece of aluminum and JB weld it to the thing. The recoil works, so really no need to swap out, just curious.

It's a decent little bike, starts easily with manual decomp, and has working lights.

MonroeMike
05-28-2017, 06:44 PM
1985 atc200s

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141286-Honda-Engine-Serial-Numbers

350for350
05-28-2017, 10:05 PM
The "second splined stub", while not explained very well, is probably the neutral indicator. If that's what it is, originally, there was a plastic "pointer" (for lack of a better term) on there. The "stub" rotates each time you change gears and would point at the "N" next to the "stub" on the case when the transmission is in neutral. To have the subtransmission, there has to be a shifter.

Fruitfarmer231
05-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Ok, maybe that's what it's intent was, just assumed it was there as the shaft to shift from one range to the other. It's obviously a quad or ATC motor because it has a pull start, and auto clutch. If there was a plastic gear indicator, it's long gone.
Thanks for your help.

Fruitfarmer231
05-29-2017, 03:36 PM
1985 atc200s

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141286-Honda-Engine-Serial-Numbers

Thanks, that stub that I thought was a shift shaft for dual range trans, turned out to be a "neutral indicator shaft"???????

Fruitfarmer231
05-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Evidently this engine is put together with assorted parts, the parts diagram shows a decomp cable, but this upper end has a decomp lever. I have several Yamaha quads, with the same setup, in case the electric start doesn't work. You don't want to forget to set it, you'll end up tearing up some arm muscles.