PDA

View Full Version : '85 250es choke cable removal from carb

placek59
05-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Hey All,
I am in the process of removing and then rebuilding the carb on my 250es. I got the carb off but the choke cable doesn't want to come out. Is there a trick to this? I can turn the plastic nut maybe 3/4 of a turn but it doesn't seem like it wants to come off. I searched quick but didn't come up with anything other than the choke housing getting stuck. Is that what is happening to me now? I understood that a guy should still be able to get the cable off to be able to then unscrew the throttle cable. Just wanted to double check before I broke something.

newby200x
05-31-2017, 04:47 PM
I've had the plunger stuck inside the carb body before. Soaked it in a ChemDip bucket for a night and then some PB Blaster and it free'd itself. You should be able to unscrew the nut completely, sometimes it's a pain to turn w/ the rubber sheath around the cable and nut. It tends to get into a bind if you don't keep an eye on it.

placek59
05-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Ok- ya that's basically what its doing. Binding up on the sheath because the sheath doesn't want to turn with the nut itself. I'll a little harder at it tonight and see where I get.

deejaycee_2000
06-01-2017, 02:22 AM
I had the same issue, but with the throttle and the choke at the same time, I ended up removing the carb with the cables attached, so loosen it from the handle side, it is way easier to do it this way and do an accurate adjustment before installing again as well.

placek59
06-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Yep - that is exactly how I ended up doing it. That might be the only way to do it really..? Just have to be careful "forcing" the plastic nut which is what I was concerned about

** and a correction, I mistyped/misspoke earlier. The sheath does want to turn with the nut, that is what makes it a touch tricky or concerning for someone opening up a carb that is 32 years old and plastic may be brittle etc..

deejaycee_2000
06-02-2017, 02:41 AM
Yes exactly, then there is no room for error. Makes installation also quick and painless. My plastic nut broke when I removed it unfortunately, but I had a new set on order anyway as I was redoing the whole carb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-QUALITY-85-87-ATC-250-SX-Carb-Choke-Starter-Plunger-Valve-Kit-Carburetor-Set-/221766436074?vxp=mtr&hash=item33a24f44ea