PDA

View Full Version : Wiring challenge

f76
05-31-2017, 08:46 PM
I have a light bar on my scrambler that has a unique feature that I can select either the 2 center spot lights, the outside floods, or both. Scrambler has high and low beams on the switch. I would like to have the low switch setting turn on only the flood lights, and then have the high switch setting turn both the floods and spot lights on. I have 2 powers from the machine, low and high, and each light bar function has it's on power wire.

I've tried drawing up diagrams how to wire it using single pole single throw relay switches but can never get it right without a back feed that turns both lights on regardless of switch position.

I think I need a double pole double throw relay but those seem to be less common and few are off road rated.
Anyone with more electrical knowledge able to help me out and shed some light on my situation?
Thanks! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170601/8089d6bb864a2b967a9ad5f3bb1cc894.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6bt
05-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Can you use diodes so it won't back feed? I've been reading up on a multi function tail light for my dual sport, and they are required.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

f76
05-31-2017, 09:04 PM
That thought did cross my mind, figured I would ask first just to verify I wasn't missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arky-X
06-01-2017, 01:44 PM
When you say you have 2 powers, is it a +V for high and low is 0V?
And then when you have low it is +V and high is 0V?
In other words, have you measured the voltage (not sure of voltage on these) on both high and low when switch is in both positions?

Based on what you described, I would have thought two SPDT relays would have done the trick.

Edit: I just looked at what you want to do again and now I see why a diode may be needed.
What I am not sure about is if you can take the switched +V (pin 87) on the high circuit and tie it to a 3rd relay (isolation).

Low:
85: GND
86: Low Scrambler switch
30: +V (battery) -- fuse this
87: Low light bar
87a: N/C

High:
86: High Scrambler switch
87: High light bar and 86 on isolation relay

Isolation:
86: From 87 of High relay
87: Low light bar

When the low switch is on it will energize pin 87 on the low relay and light up the low on the light bar. It will also energize pin 87 on the isolation relay but the switch would be open (isolated) from the high side.
I would try it out off the bike first with a separate battery and multimeter before tying into your switches and light bar.

Dirtcrasher
06-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Can you post up the wiring diagram? Something is backfeeding where as it should just be a resistor receiving 12V DC and a ground.

Should just be low beam 12V to Light (resistor) to ground for a relay coil that makes the larger amperage connection.

You may have to unplug into the harness where it comes out of the lighting switch to isolate it.

It may be that you can't just add a hot wire into that circuit in stock form without doing it as the way above.....