PDA

View Full Version : Transmission turns......sometimes. Why?

Dutch
06-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Hi all, so I have an '85 250r and I have the entire engine apart. When I put the gear shafts back into the left crankcase the gears spin all nice and smooth while shifting 1-6. This makes me very happy. When I put the right crankcase on top of the left the gears stop spinning. This makes me very unhappy. The trike was shifting fine when I took it apart and I kept all the gears together on their respective shafts and put them aside as a unit. Now when I try to reassemble it doesn't work. What the heck is going on?

just ben
06-02-2017, 10:37 PM
It will work fine. It's just a lil resistance from everything not being lined up perfectly. The world isn't perfect deal with it

Dutch
06-03-2017, 12:54 AM
Thanks, this is my first time ripping one of these apart. Other than this it all went smoothly.

greenhaze20
06-03-2017, 05:54 AM
If you have the clutch already in and then further down the build you have the crank shaft and piston in the output shaft will not move. You could try putting the cases together with just the transmission in it with the shift drum and pin and see if the output shaft shifts smoothly through 1-6 and then you would know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutch
06-03-2017, 04:49 PM
If you have the clutch already in and then further down the build you have the crank shaft and piston in the output shaft will not move. You could try putting the cases together with just the transmission in it with the shift drum and pin and see if the output shaft shifts smoothly through 1-6 and then you would know.

Yeah, I tried that. The only 2 shafts that were in the left case were the main and the countershaft. Plus I had the drum and shift forks in as well and I went through the gears while turning the main. It shifted smooth 1-6 but when I put the right case on it would stop. But I could force it hard by hand, it just wasn't smooth anymore. Didn't make sense to me. Thanks for the input though!

greenhaze20
06-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Make sure you have the washers on the end of the gears. That come in contact with the cases and make sure the bearings in the case are the correct bearings and that they are fully seated/ pressed into the cases.

Dutch
06-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Make sure you have the washers on the end of the gears. That come in contact with the cases and make sure the bearings in the case are the correct bearings and that they are fully seated/ pressed into the cases.

Yeah I did that as well. Interestingly, the previous owner did not have a washer on the left side of the countershaft, yet it ran smoother than mine does now, lol. I'm sure I pressed the bearings in as far as they can go. Would the cases even fit together properly if the bearings were not seated properly?

greenhaze20
06-03-2017, 11:40 PM
In some case yea, that's a weird one then. Do you have any pictures, then usual some one on here can chime in and tell you what you have wrong. This site is awesome like that.