PDA

View Full Version : New member needing help with big red 250es

Cdal1
06-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Hi new member here looking for some help. I have a 1985 Honda big red 250es that I'm trying to get back running the way it did when I was younger. The last time it was in regular use was about 10+ years ago. I first started out giving it a service which I changed the oil/filter, spark plug, and air filter. I then bought a zoom zoom carb off eBay and put it on.

So now with all that completed it starts up perfectly and giving it throttle it acts just like it should. My issue is with the choke, if I have the choke off it goes to idling normal but when I give it choke it kills the engine. The choke lever slides back and forth like normal. If I adjust the idle knob on the carb to a higher idle and move choke all the way it idles normal then when turning off the choke it idles at higher rpm. It's almost like the choke is working in reverse depending on how high I turn the carbs idle knob.

I hope this is making sense and if not I'll try and describe it in a different way. Any thoughts on my issue?

Thanks

DailyGrind
06-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Start up and runs normally but it dies when you choke it... what is the issue again? How bout you stop just stop choking and ride it?

Possibly yes there may need to be more explanation.

fabiodriven
06-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Yeah I'm confused a bit. Why do you want it to run with the choke on?

Cdal1
06-07-2017, 07:24 PM
I understand where y'all are coming from, but I'm just trying to get everything working like it was back in it's day. It's running fine now without choke but it is going to get cold again, so would like to just know what the problem could be and if it's something more than just the choke not working would be good to know before I do any damage.

Was hoping this was something someone has come across. Sounds like I need to get some seat time and see how it acts like it is now, and if I have more to provide I'll report back.

fabiodriven
06-07-2017, 07:51 PM
I think there's a good chance when it gets colder you'll find your choke is working properly.

LuckyChicken
06-07-2017, 09:53 PM
It will be fine wait for it to act up then I will be easier to figure what if there is a problem at all

350for350
06-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Or you can send the Honda carb to Flyingw to work his magic on. Then you will have a good, working carb that you don't have to worry about.

Jaywood1207
06-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Even in cold weather you only use the choke for starting and turn it off once the engine is warmed up. Turning the choke on no matter what the weather is once the engine is warmed up will kill the engine. That is the way it should be.

HoldMyBeer
06-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Mine does the same thing with the factory carb after I cleaned it up. In the winter, starting fluid. In the summer, let her eat!