PDA

View Full Version : Strange occurrence on Big Red

miloman
06-22-2017, 04:23 PM
I have a 1984 Big Red and it runs fairly ok for the most part, always seems to run rich no matter what I do to the carb screws, smokes a tiny bit when idling (smells horrible, hurts my nose), and occasionally moves without touching the throttle. Now that all that is out of the way here's the "occurrence" that is kinda annoying, my driveway is pretty long and downhill and I down it often, and when I go down hill I am coasting in neutral, but when I reach the bottom of the hill, my Big Red starts revving harder and harder until it sounds like it's pinned and then I have to turn it off because if I put it in gear I will fly onto the road which is very busy, and after waiting a minute or so and I start my threewheeler up again and it runs fine with no revving. This isn't a huge problem but it is very annoying and I have no idea what would cause this. Any ideas?244212

russhud
06-22-2017, 04:41 PM
I have a 1984 Big Red and it runs fairly ok for the most part, always seems to run rich no matter what I do to the carb screws, smokes a tiny bit when idling (smells horrible, hurts my nose), and occasionally moves without touching the throttle. Now that all that is out of the way here's the "occurrence" that is kinda annoying, my driveway is pretty long and downhill and I down it often, and when I go down hill I am coasting in neutral, but when I reach the bottom of the hill, my Big Red starts revving harder and harder until it sounds like it's pinned and then I have to turn it off because if I put it in gear I will fly onto the road which is very busy, and after waiting a minute or so and I start my threewheeler up again and it runs fine with no revving. This isn't a huge problem but it is very annoying and I have no idea what would cause this. Any ideas?244212

Check the float height- does the carb leak?

miloman
06-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Check the float height- does the carb leak?

Nah no carb leak, sometimes a I see a little stain under the front of the gas tank on the engine but that's it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russhud
06-22-2017, 04:52 PM
I think the fuel level in the bowl is too high. Like I said, check the float height. Going downhill would cause it to go even higher, see? Like tipping a bowl of cereal lol.

Jamf
06-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Have you taken the carb off and checked it out? Could just have a chunk of dirt in the needle & seat letting it over fill with gas.