PDA

View Full Version : Today's Harescramble

TimSr
02-09-2004, 12:17 AM
I decided to run a cross country event today since the temp got up to whopping 30 degrees, or as we call it in Ohio, "Ridin' Weather". Since we had plenty of snow, and this was an outlaw event, and it was a course that usually doesnt have any downhill off-camber, I figured, "what the hey" and meticulously slapped my TriZ motor back together last night.
The course was a lot easier than normal to accomodate for the snow and ice. It was rough! The only thing worse than a snow covered hillclimb, is coming back the next lap, and finding that the snow has been converted into polished ice. After a couple of laps the straighaways and woods trails had deep quad ruts, which means going through them cockeyed on a trike. I ended up tipping it over 4 times, twice on the same hill. Once it got glazed, Id get almost to the top, not make it, hop off quickly and slide back down the hill trying to hang onto it. Trikes dont slide sideways well. At one time I got back off the hill just in time to watch a smartarse on a Banshee who flew around me come tumbling down in multiple rolls right over the spot I was remounting.
All in all, I was killing most of the other riders on the hillclimbs, but they were getting me in the deep rutted woods trails. I finished 9th out of 12 and was quite happy about it. This was an over 35 class, so these guys knew how to ride. I passed so many guys in other classes, I couldnt even guess. I could have done better on 4 wheels, but nobody would have noticed me, and what fun is that? Nothing gets you pumped up like a cheering crowd when you climb the hill everybody is stuck on!
Im sore, Im tired, and Im going to bed! Its been a great day.

Chopperdad
02-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Next event like that going on let me know and maybe I will come and run it with you. I would love to compete against others and especially 4 wheelers. Trikes are not allowed in events around here. They say they don't fit into the classes.

Russell 350X
02-09-2004, 05:33 PM
That sounds like fun. I havent seen any ads for those around here.

3WheelsForever
02-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Sounds like fun TimSr. Maybe after I get this T3 all up and going, I could make a trip up by your place to check out(maybe take place) in a few races. Im more interested in the MX. Any idea when any will be?

TimSr
02-10-2004, 10:22 PM
It would be nice to see a few other trikes once in a while!

Here is the CRA site with schedule. http://home.alltel.net/racecra/ Most of their tracks allow trikes, but its best to check ahead and make sure. I know Malvern does not. I know that any event from Patriot Promotions and Faircross promotions DOES. I always do the fair races on my TriZ because of the huge number of spectators. Especially Medina County. Also Smith Road Raceway in Medina is unsanctioned and allows trikes, and will even give us our own class if we have enough riders. They only run Memorial Day, Labor day, and 4th of July.

Nate (Trike) runs at Sunset Ramblers a lot, and they are probably closer to you guys, but I dont know if they allow trikes. I think theyre in Galion just north of Coumbus. Ive also never checked Sandusky Speedway.

In Harescrambles I know Big Game Raceway near Youngstown, and Hidden Valley near Coshocton allow trikes. Hidden Valley has a lot of downhill off camber riding, so Id only run it on a trike if there were a few others on trikes to compete against.

Summit Indoor at Summit County Fairgrounds is running MX 27th 28th and 29th of this month, and they allow trikes.

Other sites for Ohio Racing info are Pitracer.com and ohioquadracing.com. They also have info on practice tracks.

There are lots of places to race in Ohio with a little checking.

Chopperdad
02-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Hey TimSr. Have you ever ran at the Mansfeild MC track for hairscrambles. I have some cousins that live over there and I may be able to talk him into running his blaster in that. It is worked up and pretty fast blaster. Plus I could stay at his house. They live near loudenville. If you run there maybe we can hook up. I would love to get back into some sort of racing. I think my 350X can do it.

TimSr
02-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Chopperdad, Ive never raced at Mansfield but it is a CRA track, and anly about an hour from me. What Ive heard about it thouhgh is that their HS track is more like a large MX track where they run 25-30 laps in a race instead of the 4 or 5 cross country laps I prefer to ride. Thats not to say I wouldnt go run it, especially to meet other riders. I dont know if they allow trikes, but Ill get in touch with them and find out.

Chopperdad
02-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Sounds cool. I would love to do it as long as it isn't to crazy to ride. I have to go to work the next day to support my family. That is why I try to stay away from the crazy MX tracks with the big jumps and all that stuff. I love hairscrambles. I wonder if they let 3 wheelers run in the GNCC Quad races?

TimSr
02-13-2004, 02:36 PM
GNCC hasnt allowed trikes in many many years. They would even allow them to run the Blackwater 100 in '90.

TimSr
02-16-2004, 03:17 PM
I just got an email back from Sunset Ramblers in Galion. www.sunsetramblers.com
which Im pasting below.

Hello Leadboot,
Yes we do allow 3-wheelers in our quad events. At this time we do not have
a 3-wheeler class available for those enthusiasts, so you will have to race
in the class that coincides with your engines cc size. Look on the website
to see the classifications for different size engines.
Thanks for asking! Mark

So guys, a little less talk and a lot more action? Its about 1 1/2 - 2 Hours from me, but Id be happy to travel down and run the Z if Ive got any trikers willing to run against me, and a bunch of quads.

Their Harescrambles are run on their MX track, so they are not a typical cross country ride. Their schedule in on their website. Ill put a posting in teh Trikefest/Local riding area forum, and maybe we can get a handful of trikers to show up.

Chopperdad
02-16-2004, 10:07 PM
I am in for it as long as it isn't a real crazy track. I am not into the real big jumps and stuff but would love to race. I can't do every race or anything but definately make some. Maybe we can plan a couple to get a few of us there for?

Chopperdad
02-16-2004, 10:30 PM
I am about 2 hrs away and my cousins are close to there.