PDA

View Full Version : 79-80 Honda ATC 110 NO SPARK...typical I know

Jonarotz
07-06-2017, 07:57 AM
I have been doing a lot of searching on this and have tried a lot of stuff and still can't figure it out.

Here is what I have done...I can get the engine to run off of an automotive ignition box using an auto coil and small 12V battery. The points will trigger the box and it runs just fine. This has been helpful while trouble shooting because I have a running engine.
With the engine idling I am seeing around 50v AC out of the stator on the black wire. Is this adequate?
Since the engine is running off of the points using the ignition box I am going to assume that the points are fine and work as they should.
While the engine runs this way, it's not ideal. I don't want to be reliant on a 12v battery because the engines charging system has no way of charging the battery back up. Eventually I will be left stranded.

The coil I have is the tan-ish Nipendenso one. While I am not positive that it is good, the person I bought it from said it was from a running bike so who really knows.
I am confused on the points coil wiring though. I have the condenser mounted to the coil and it is grounded through the bracket. There is a green wire coming from the condenser and I am assuming it would go to the green wire on the coil then these 2 wires would go to the stator black wire, along with the green points wire? There is also a black wire on the coil I am assuming this is ground?

I have wired it up this way using the factory schematics and nothing is working.

Can anyone help me out?
Also does anyone have a spare coil for this application that I can try or recommend a suitable replacement?