PDA

View Full Version : Starter clutch help

Grmpy
07-22-2017, 03:21 PM
So, I bought the girlfriend an 84 trx 200. Same engine and everything as the big red shaft drive. Electric start didn't work. Starter works, not cranking engine. I pulled the fly wheel and now I'm wondering if there is anyway to test the clutches or what I should look for. Thanks.

gimmeamidget
07-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Have you checked solenoid? If starter motor is good try jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if that works.

Grmpy
07-22-2017, 04:13 PM
Have you checked solenoid? If starter motor is good try jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if that works.

Thanks for the reply. But I have it all torn apart now. I'm not sure how the system works, what makes the clutch grab? Is it centrifugal? Or does one of the wires going into stator need to have 12v? I tried it before by simply putting jumper cables on the starter, everything turns but doesn't engage to crank engine. I'm mechanically inclined but I work on semis lol not sure what I'm looking at with these starting syatems.

atc007
07-22-2017, 07:51 PM
It is centrifugal. The ring gear should only turn one way inside the flywheel. Lock one way, free the other.

350for350
07-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Does everything work when it's together, just not cranking the engine over? Then that's more than the clutch. You need to get a signal to the solenoid to engage that. It comes from the start button. Even though it's a totally different machine, I just went through through this on my 250sx. It turned out to be the main fuse right off the battery. It had been removed. Once I hooked it back up, everything worked. Now I'm completely spoiled by the electric start.

gimmeamidget
07-22-2017, 11:20 PM
So I'm assuming when you push the start button the starter motor spins but the gear is not thrusting and engaging the flywheel? i have never rebuilt the starter motors since you can buy them on eBay for cheap.

Akhenra_Tri125
07-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Can you post a picture of the starter?

If I recall that is a fixed shaft starter - not like a car where the gear slides out to engage and drops back in when not turning, need the picture to confirm.

Starter Motor spins while it's out in the bench test, correct?

Grmpy
07-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys, but I figured it out. Apparently I was missing pieces of the sprag clutch assembly so I'm hunting for some parts. I would post a pic but not sure how from my phone lol

atc007
07-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Missing a spring or a barrel?