PDA

View Full Version : One way bearing or clutch? Or both?

Grmpy
08-01-2017, 02:38 PM
This is on my 84 atc 200s. When I shut down the machine I can hear it keep spinning for a few seconds and doesn't sound good, like bearing noise. So I assume the bearing is gone. But another issue I'm having is when I'm coasting down a hill in 1st cause I have no brakes it seems to pick up speed as if it were in neutral. I have to give it a little shot then the compression will start slowing me down again. Which is kinda scary cause we ride in the rocky mountains.. would this issue be one way bearing or a clutch? The main clutch grabs hard and has never slipped.

atc007
08-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Def clutch bearing. Ebay should be your cheapest route. I haven't heard any bad things about them,but OE is always perfect.

Grmpy
08-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Def clutch bearing. Ebay should be your cheapest route. I haven't heard any bad things about them,but OE is always perfect.

Thanks. Any special tools needed? I have another engine I was thinking about taking one out of. I have already stole other parts from it and it's on my work bench. Everything worked properly and it ran fine.

350for350
08-01-2017, 10:34 PM
No matter what you do with the clutch bearing, you NEED to have brakes, especially riding in the mountains.

Grmpy
08-01-2017, 11:15 PM
No matter what you do with the clutch bearing, you NEED to have brakes, especially riding in the mountains.

Haha yea I know. I wish I had em but I've been having a hard time finding a brake drum in good condition. For the big hills I hook a strap to my girlfriends quad lol

coolpool
08-02-2017, 12:12 AM
Haha yea I know. I wish I had em but I've been having a hard time finding a brake drum in good condition. For the big hills I hook a strap to my girlfriends quad lol
Especially in Maclean Creek! Those hills are brutal. Lived in Cowtown from 86-92 and Maclean Creek and Ghost Wilderness were my weekend riding spots. I wish there was a way to reline the steel in a drum, like a spray weld then machining or something of the sorts? Maybe you can get your shoes relined oversize?

Grmpy
08-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Especially in Maclean Creek! Those hills are brutal. Lived in Cowtown from 86-92 and Maclean Creek and Ghost Wilderness were my weekend riding spots. I wish there was a way to reline the steel in a drum, like a spray weld then machining or something of the sorts? Maybe you can get your shoes relined oversize?

Those are my two spots. I've never really looked into getting a drum re-lined, maybe oversize shoes. I also thought about welding some plate on the small part that rotates which presses the shoes out. Maybe someday I'll play with it. I'm so used to not having brakes though lol