PDA

View Full Version : New Here From Katy, Tx

Rmac86
08-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to say hello. Been a few years since I have had a trike in my garage, long story, but recently picked up an 86 250R and stoked about having my hands on another. New to the site and look forward to chatting about anything and everything ATC related!:crazy:

Aulbaugh
08-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Welcome back to the site Rmac86. Nice score on the 250R! That front beadlock rim looks sweet! Where'd you pick up the 86 from?

Rmac86
08-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I traded a guy in Dallas my 05 Honda TRX 450r for it. Loving the 85 350x on your Avatar, next in line to add to my collection!

Onetrackmind
08-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Nice ride! Is that the 310R that was on CL in Lucas/Allen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rmac86
08-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Thanks Onetrackmind and yes it is! I had been in the market for one for a while and the distance from me and asking price on that one made me push it off. Went out on a limb and offered him my 450R and he bit on it. Got on the road at 3:30 am and 6 cups of coffee, 2 Monsters, and 8 hours later she was sitting in my garage.

Shawn Powell
08-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Nice ride! Welcome. Any idea who did the front rim? Been thinking about beadlocks for my x

Rmac86
08-07-2017, 12:11 PM
I do actually. The PO is originally from Puerto Rico and apparently those guys are super big into racing 2 strokes. He has a friend down there that machined these out of some type of really hard plastic. He just drilled and tapped the holes for the allen head screws and they are held onto the rim with 3 metal tabs that squeeze between the bead and the rim. Just a fake bead lock but all that is available at the moment for a trike. I have a friend that works in a machine shop and I intend to get him mine for a pattern and get some sets made.

Rmac86
08-07-2017, 12:13 PM
He had them on the rear as well.....

Onetrackmind
08-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I live in the same town where you picked it up. If I remember right, he was pretty proud of it...good thing you worked out a solid trade.

I'm no stranger to driving some distance to get a trike. My R came from Oklahoma City and my 350X from Sugarland.

Rmac86
08-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Yea the straight out cash price was steep for sure. I have been reading through your restoration this morning and awesome work man! I would love to take mine down to the last nut and bolt and do the same eventually, even though it is already pretty clean for the most part. I cant believe you got the 350X just in Sugarland, that's like 20 min from me! She looks clean!

Shawn Powell
08-07-2017, 02:32 PM
I do actually. The PO is originally from Puerto Rico and apparently those guys are super big into racing 2 strokes. He has a friend down there that machined these out of some type of really hard plastic. He just drilled and tapped the holes for the allen head screws and they are held onto the rim with 3 metal tabs that squeeze between the bead and the rim. Just a fake bead lock but all that is available at the moment for a trike. I have a friend that works in a machine shop and I intend to get him mine for a pattern and get some sets made.

Got it. I was looking for the real thing. OMF in norther cal will do it if you send them a new Douglas red label wheel. Cost is high. Prolly do it this season though. Sweet bike.

Onetrackmind
08-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Thanks man...mine was a wreck and a ticking bomb. It needed a ton of love. Yours looks to be in great shape...I don't see any need in tearing it down.

I got really lucky w the X. I had the guy meet me in Madisonville.

Aulbaugh
08-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I traded a guy in Dallas my 05 Honda TRX 450r for it. Loving the 85 350x on your Avatar, next in line to add to my collection!

Thank you sir! I drove 3.5 hrs one way to pick this one up in Oklahoma. Loved every second of it! Yeah I remember now seeing this up for grabs on CL, looks like you did good on that trade.

Rmac86
08-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Thanks Onetrackmind, I am happy with the deal on the bike for sure! I literally cried when I had to sell my collection, so to have at least 1 bike to start off with again is an awesome feeling. I ordered OEM style decals, fork boots, skid plates and a few other items off of ebay just to get it back up to an original looking state. Just ride and keep it clean and keep funds available for an 85 350x when I find her!

Rmac86
08-08-2017, 08:43 AM
You bet Hondatcs! I couldn't sleep the night before and already had the coffee pot set to kick off at 3am! Was like a kid on Christmas day the entire drive there and back!245503

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 09:59 AM
You bet Hondatcs! I couldn't sleep the night before and already had the coffee pot set to kick off at 3am! Was like a kid on Christmas day the entire drive there and back!

That is Awesome!

I ordered OEM style decals, fork boots, skid plates and a few other items off of ebay just to get it back up to an original looking state.

I like your style! I am an OEM Enthusiats!

Rmac86
08-08-2017, 11:05 AM
That is Awesome!

I like your style! I am an OEM Enthusiats!

Oh for sure! Don't get me wrong, I love the aftermarket stuff for these bikes and makes them look pretty slick in most cases. My thoughts are that if this is the only bike I have in my possession, then it needs to be as complete and original as possible. If a second stumbles into my possession, then we can talk about a more aftermarket approach on that one.

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Oh for sure! Don't get me wrong, I love the aftermarket stuff for these bikes and makes them look pretty slick in most cases. My thoughts are that if this is the only bike I have in my possession, then it needs to be as complete and original as possible. If a second stumbles into my possession, then we can talk about a more aftermarket approach on that one.

Agreed! That is kinda the approach I am doing on another 350x with a few aftermarket parts

Rmac86
08-08-2017, 12:11 PM

Here is a pic of my old 350x, never find another one like it. One of those "I'm looking for a 350x, Hey I know a guy that has one" situations. Was literally sitting in the back room of our local feed store in storage by the owner's son. They wanted it gone and I just happened to mention wanting one at the right time.

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 12:44 PM
O Yeah she was clean! Great story on how you got it too! How long ago did you sale it?

Rmac86
08-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Sold it about 6 years ago. Sold the 350x and the 250R as a pair to a local guy and he ended up splitting them up and sold them separately. I know the guy that has the 350x now but he wont sell to anyone unfortunately. At least I know its in good hands now to say the least.