PDA

View Full Version : Full Tear Down and Frame Paint/Powdercoat

Rmac86
08-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Being that my bike needed a few items like replacing swing arm bolt due to boogered threads, front wheel bearing and seals, OEM fork boots over the black socks from the PO, OEM decals, etc., I decided to start pulling it down last night. The further I got into it, the more I kept pulling off finding small things I wanted to get to in order to clean, paint, replace. Well once I got to the swing arm bolt removal, no bueno. Typical seized bolt situation and knowing this, I went further to remove all I could to allow me to pull the entire swing arm to put new bearings and bushings and now paint and decal it. I only intended to remove the bolt and swap for a new one, but now this is where I am at. My question to you guys, since I am this far, would it make sense to pull the bike all the way down and repaint or powdercoat the frame being I will now be cleaning up the swing arm? Do I just touch up the few lightly chipped and rusted areas and put back together and if so, what is the best rattle can brand/color to do this? The bike is already super clean, so just wanted some opinions being I always tend to go the extra mile and overdo it.

Aulbaugh
08-10-2017, 10:15 AM
If I was going to ride it and I would clean/fix what you wanted to then let'er rip. Like you said, it was already clean to being with! I too tend to go above and beyond the norm!

Rmac86
08-10-2017, 10:23 AM
LOL, yea I guess I am a little OCD like that when it comes to projects. Pull a shroud to put on a new decal and damn, that bracket is rusty. Pull the bracket to paint it and damn, might as well put new radiator hoses. I will have the bike blown apart all over the garage and my wife wagging her finger at me and our bank account in no time. :wondering

knappyfeet
08-10-2017, 10:23 AM
From the pics your bike seems really clean.

My personal opinion..........things are only original once. I know the temptation to go through things to give them that flawless appearance. But a nick here or there or a dent here or there....as long as it looks nice like yours I would leave it alone and call it character

Rmac86
08-10-2017, 10:28 AM
I do appreciate that knappyfeet and tend to lean that way at times as well. The chances of coming up on a clean and mostly original bike these days is slim to none and guys like us do tend to appreciate those more. All I did with my other trikes was hold out for that mostly clean/original "barn fresh" as they say and keep it clean and ride it.

Aulbaugh
08-10-2017, 11:15 AM
I will have the bike blown apart all over the garage and my wife wagging her finger at me and our bank account in no time.

Haha, lots of us can relate to that one!

Onetrackmind
08-10-2017, 11:25 AM
I was in the same quandary when I started pulling my R apart. Heck...the title of my build thread is "Refresh/Rebuild" cuz that's what I thought I was gonna do at first.

Then... I kept finding little things, more little things, tiny things and really big things that needed attention. I also found a ton of stuff that I just WANTED to address. I then found a set of near-mint OEM rear fenders and that sealed my fate.

I went all-in. Full-on REstoTARD...

I love the final product, it is absolutely incredible to actually own a piece of history like this and for it to be (in a sense) brand new like it was on the showroom floor back in '85. I still feel like my 13 yo self drooling over it.

Unfortunately, now I'm afraid to ride it. Too worried about bashing it up, flipping it, getting rock chips or heck...just getting it muddy. Bryan warned me about not obsessing over OEM, but I did not heed his advice.

So, if you want to take a really nice, clean rider and turn it into something else...go ahead. But...you may wind up in the same boat as me so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rmac86
08-10-2017, 11:33 AM
I appreciate all the input guys. Pretty sure you all just convinced me to leave well enough alone. I think in the least I will do some minor "touch ups" to the really irritating places on the frame and be done. Is Rustoleum "Sunrise Red" still the paint of choice for this? I was up searching all night and came up with they ever repeated Sunrise Red on the chassis, Dublicolor "Universal Gold" on the swingarm, and Duplicolor "Cast Coat Iron" on the engine, which the PO already had done on the build and sent the leftover can home with me.

knappyfeet
08-10-2017, 05:37 PM
All I did with my other trikes was hold out for that mostly clean/original "barn fresh" as they say and keep it clean and ride it.

Me too.

Not to polute your thread but I had a very nice 2nd Gen 200x that had nicks and scrapes and even dents. But after I used Mcguires 105/205 and some phosphoric acid and the like.....all I had to paint was the foot pegs and maybe something else....that was it. I left all the nicks and everything.

There was a dent on the other side of the tank that had me up at night wanting to paint it. But I think I was visited by the atc gods one night in a dream and they told me I would go to atc hell if I dared take stripper to the original finish on that tank......so I did nothing and it took away nothing from an overall clean survivor.

Onetrackmind
08-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Wow knappy...that's a beautiful machine.

Rmac86
08-10-2017, 06:49 PM
No kidding, that baby turned out slick! Yea I have been looking around on the net and have come across some original beauties that all the guys did was clean them up and add some new shiny goodies on top of it. The contrast between the old and polished vs the new and shiny is a pretty cool look I will say. I have been in love with this 350x since I first seen it on the net about 10 years ago and that's all he did. Bought an absolute gem off of ebay and just threw on some slick looking wheels, anodized sprocket, and a few other goodies. Beautiful!

Arky-X
08-10-2017, 11:03 PM
The rustic, weathered look is in. Clean it up and ride that thing.
Mine is getting the rebuild and if you do that you better plan on 6 months to 2 years because something always gets priority over it. It's just a $low process.
Yours looks great! Spend a good part of a weekend cleaning it then enjoy it.

knappyfeet
08-10-2017, 11:51 PM
No kidding, that baby turned out slick! Yea I have been looking around on the net and have come across some original beauties that all the guys did was clean them up and add some new shiny goodies on top of it. The contrast between the old and polished vs the new and shiny is a pretty cool look I will say. I have been in love with this 350x since I first seen it on the net about 10 years ago and that's all he did. Bought an absolute gem off of ebay and just threw on some slick looking wheels, anodized sprocket, and a few other goodies. Beautiful!

I've seen that 350 on the Internet and it is one nice machine. It looks just like a lot of simple elbow grease and time.

I've kinda learned that corrosion on cad plated stuff/fasteners and oxidation and dirt/oil/grime left on stuff sometimes acts as...........for lack of a better term.....a barrier of protection. Once you buff up the powder coating and paint and flash dip the cad plated things in acid......they usually shine right up.

Rmac86
08-11-2017, 06:38 AM
Referring to the use of phosphoric acid to flash dip knappy, you utilize this method to clean the bolts and fasteners to help clean and restore that original finish I am guessing?

knappyfeet
08-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Referring to the use of phosphoric acid to flash dip knappy, you utilize this method to clean the bolts and fasteners to help clean and restore that original finish I am guessing?

Yes....your spot on Rmac86.

The way I like to do it is to dip the items for no more than 2 seconds them IMMEDIATELY rinse in a bucket of warm water or with a hose. Even the worst shape fasteners can usually take a second or 2 in the acid but some times not a second longer. Usually that's all the time it needs. But if the cad plate seems in good shape you could do it a second time. But too much time will start to burn off the old plating. It's kinda the reverse of what carpenters say about measuring twice and cutting once............... in this case you dip once.....then if you feel it needs more you can dip again....better safe than sorry.

Rmac86
08-12-2017, 06:17 AM
That is a great idea and do believe I will be trying this on a few fasteners myself. The nice new engine and complete bike bolt kits are nice, but why spend the money when you already have them right?!

LushATC250R
08-13-2017, 01:16 AM
Theres a company in my homeyown. Its called Kustom coatings or koatings. Not exactly sure. They quoted me 190 to media blast and powder coat my frame in any color. You may google it. Its in huntington, wv

Rmac86
08-14-2017, 02:06 PM
So yesterday I completed my task of removing that PITA pivot bolt. Knowing I needed to go at it with a grinder and 5lb sledge, I decided to go a step further and pull the engine and other pieces. The final verdict, clean and buff the frame to keep that original well kept but still slightly worn look, clean all fasteners, repaint swingarm with new decals, reassemble. I have all new bearings from All Balls on the way along with seals, chain, rollers, etc. In the process of finding a local shop to media blast the swingarm and brake caliper stay and hopefully press out the old bearings and in with the new.

Onetrackmind
08-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Dang...you're not messin around! Keep up the good work man...looking good. [emoji106]

Rmac86
08-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Thanks man! Since I leaned away from the whole blasting and powdercoating and am only "detailing" what I already have, she should go back together relatively soon. Cleaning the swingarm up and getting the new bearings in is the largest task, the rest is gravy.

knappyfeet
08-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Thanks man! Since I leaned away from the whole blasting and powdercoating and am only "detailing" what I already have, she should go back together relatively soon. Cleaning the swingarm up and getting the new bearings in is the largest task, the rest is gravy.

Looking at the bare frame it looks like a nice candidate for a successful cleanup/buffing/shinning, etc

Spencer2986
08-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Looks great!

Rmac86
08-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Still hard at the cleanup with what little time my work schedule allows me. Last Thursday I utilized on of the members ideas on a homemade swing arm bushing press utilizing a piece of all thread and removed the old bushings. Went ahead and knocked out the old carrier bearings and seals as well. Goofed up and ordered the Dual Row bearings from All-Balls over the stock replacements, so now have the right ones on the way and will be here Friday. Spent Sunday evening applying paint stripper and scraping off all of the old paint and decals from the swing arm and getting it ready for paint. The stripper worked great and got the majority off, so last night I just used a series of wire brushes in by drill to get the rest. Hoping to get it into primer this evening and let it cure for a few days before wet sanding. Praying for gold paint to flow Saturday morning weather permitting :wondering

Aulbaugh
08-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Coming along nicely! Could be a good weekend for paint with it being a little cooler than normal(which is hotter than the gates of hell). I'm loving the rain this year in August though

Rmac86
08-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Your not lying about the heat, I swear every night I spend in the garage messing with this thing I lose a pound or two. Just so dang humid here in Houston and forecast shows rain starting Thursday as my luck would have it.

dman10
08-22-2017, 03:56 PM
I'll third this hell called Texas. I spent last week sandblasting and painting my 185s frame in this heat.

Rmac86
08-22-2017, 04:07 PM
And yet we just keep working in it because we love these three legged beasts.............

Rmac86
08-24-2017, 09:10 AM
With the "possible" approach of the "possible" hurricane Harvey, I took advantage of the last day of good weather and painted my swinger last night. Pretty happy with the results from a spray can combo of sandable primer and Duplicolor Universal Gold. Once that was done and hanging out to dry, decided to scrub my rear shock down with some Simple Green, lightly buff with a scotch brite, further buff with some Mother's Polish, and finish with a coat of Zymol wax. Could have been a tad bit better with some fresh paint on the res mount or possibly the spring, but still shooting for that barn fresh polished look when I am done.

Rmac86
09-13-2017, 11:24 AM
Well as everyone knows that "possible" hurricane Harvey did happen to us here in Houston, as with many others. If any of you guys were impacted by this storm or by Irma, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am just now back at my office after having been gone since I went home that Friday the 25th to prepare for Harvey's arrival. Had a close call the Sunday after the storm hit and had to rush all of my parts into my children's bedroom so that I could get the wife's car in the garage and keep it from flooding out in the drive. Luckily the water only got within a few feet of our doorway and then receded. With all that down time however, I was able to make a little headway as the weather and finances permitted. Still a ways to go.......

Aulbaugh
09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Glad to hear you made it out ok. We've definitely had our fellow Texan in our thoughts and prayers. Nice picture of the parts being stored in the kids room, I would've done the same. Coming back together nicely!

Rmac86
09-15-2017, 07:25 AM
Headed out of town this evening to see family, so stayed up till after midnight trying to get as much done as possible. Goal is to be kicking her off by next weekend.......

83ATC185
09-15-2017, 08:16 AM
This has turned out very nice!

Nice Skylark too.

Rmac86
09-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Thanks man! It has been a labor of love with many hours and many cold long necks in the garage, but I'm really happy with the outcome. Yea, that's my other baby. She been neglected for a while, so might have to move her up next on the list for some routine maintenance LOL!

83ATC185
09-15-2017, 11:36 AM
thanks for the pic! I'd rather own a Cutlass or a Skylark over a Chevelle anyday.

Rmac86
09-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Oh yea. I have had a 69 SS 396, a 72 Cutlass, a 71 Lemans, and now this 68 Skylark and she is by far my most favorite. Great body lines, the interior is the most elegant by far out of them all, and it drives like a Cadillac but has plenty of balls when you need it. Swapped the 2 speed powerglide for a built turbo 350 and 2000 stall, the 10 bolt rear for a 12 bolt out of a 69 chevelle with 3:55 gear and a locker. Have a 430 out of a 69 Electra I am waiting to build now and drop into her over that stock 350 even though the 350 runs like a dream.

Rmac86
09-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys! I might just have to throw some updates of the Skylark on here when I do get around to her. For now I will keep trucking along on the R and making progress little by little. Went out of town the weekend, but was able to add a few things to it yesterday evening when I got home like the new lug nuts, drive sprocket and washer, blue coolant hoses, and the blue o-ring chain.

Kamnahrt
09-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Absolutely beautiful man! That is going to be almost to nice to ride when you get her finished up!

Rmac86
09-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Thanks Kamnahrt! Yea that's what all my friends keep telling me LOL! Told them I'm not afraid of a little dust, but most likely have to draw the line at mud. I will get another bike for that once this one is all together :naughty:

knappyfeet
09-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Its looking beautiful 86.........very nice!

Rmac86
09-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Work has had me slammed after the return from Harvey, but still managing to do what I can in the evenings. Ran into an issue last night when installing the new SUMO brake pads on the front caliper, causing the disc to not want to clear towards the top. It would go between the pads just fine on the bottom, but as I rotated the caliper onto the disc it would bind up on the tab cast into the caliper towards the top. I used my grinder with a polishing disk to take a few thousandths off one of the pads and still no luck. Ended up assembling it back with one of my worn pads towards the hub side and one of the new ones towards the caliper side. Went together, but still has some drag and I can slightly hear metal to metal from the disc against that tab on the caliper. I have attached a pic of an assembled caliper with new pads off of Ebay as an example, noting my areas of issues. Any thoughts??? It was working fine before tear down, but the pad against the caliper side was really worn VS the other, so I am sure that is what allowed the disc to clear so well.

RobbieGreene508
09-25-2017, 03:23 AM
Looking great!!

Rmac86
09-26-2017, 02:11 PM
Thanks! Figured the front caliper issue out with a little studying. Turns out the float pins or slides were froze up and not allowing the caliper to slide back and forth and align with the rotor. Once that issue was resolved she went together easy. Made a little more progress getting the rear brakes and exhaust on it the other day.

Rmac86
09-28-2017, 09:21 AM
Finally got it all together and was able to take it down the street yesterday. Few minor details left to address but all in all she's done and ready to ride. Neighbors weren't too thrilled about my victory lap, so will have to plan a trip out to the country in the near future to really test her out.:D

Aulbaugh
09-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Turned out really good Rmac86! She's a beaut! If your ever head up my way hit me up and we can ride.

Rmac86
09-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Thanks Hondatcs, I would be down for that for sure!

tskow
09-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Looking real good

hmautocenter.com

3tracs
09-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Man, it looks awesome!

Rmac86
09-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys! It was a fun project and almost a little sad that I already got to the end of it. Time to find me another 350x or Tri-Z and begin another one..........:naughty: