PDA

View Full Version : 84 200es won't start, out of norm

gravismaximus
08-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Hi all, I've been trying to find the Gremlin in this wheeler for awhile now. It use to start and run then cut out and come back to life. Then it got to a point to where it would run but no power. After all the issues I would resolve them,. By new coil, new plug and cap, new pulse gen. Etc etc.... It would run fine the next time you ride it.
Now however it don't start most the time, if it does it runs good. Here's what I know. When it don't start I spray starting fluid in carb. No pop. Pull plug wet and can smell gas coming out the exhaust after cranking for 30 seconds. (It's getting gas one way or the other) so I moved on to spark. Can hold plug 3/4 to 1 inch away from head and see nice bright spark.. (ok has spark). Checked compression and set Valve clearance before. (Remember this thing does run when it feels like it). So I moved onto timing marks. Using manual says to line T mark up on crank with cam sprocket on it's index mark. Checked it and can mark is off half a tooth. If I move advance the cam sprocket 1 tooth it's still gonna be half a tooth off. I also made sure the cam lobes were facing down while checking timing marks. Funny thing is if I line up the T on crank and not the T mark it lines the cam sprocket up perfect. But I'm sure the mark is what should be used right? And I'm asking even with half a tooth off shouldn't I get a least a pop? Id think that close it would run, maybe just lack power. But I got nothing. Any ideas. I have fuel, spark and timing is good and it runs when it wants to.

wheelerNate
09-01-2017, 02:40 PM
May want to trouble shoot the CDI also.
If you do replace the CDI make sure you get the correct one, 1984 200es is not interchangeable with stock 1984 200.

BarnBoy
09-06-2017, 10:43 PM
My guess would be CDI. Try heating the CDI up with a heat gun or blow dryer (not too hot) and see if it will start. If so its the CDI. Just get it hot enough so it feels a little warm to the touch. Dont melt it.