PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200es HANDLEBAR GRIP END RETAINER & BOLT

MJV
08-31-2017, 11:29 AM
So on my new purchase 1984 200es, one side of the handlebar grip bolts must have been broken off. I have a parts bike and would like to replace the grip end retainer and bolt. How do you think I should go about getting this broken off bolt out of the hole? The only thing I can think of is drilling a small hole with a drill bit and hopefully getting it to stick and then turning it until it comes out but hoping not to damage the threads. I really have no idea. What are your thoughts? I've attached pics of what the good side looks like and what the bad side looks like. 246092246093246094

Herboso
08-31-2017, 11:37 AM
Have you ever seen these tools? http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/bolt-extractor/oem-6-pcs-spiral-flute-screw-extractor-set/99277_0_0

wonderboy
08-31-2017, 11:52 AM
In my experience, the extractors don't work on a bolt that has broken off due to being seized on the threads. (I've never had them work) They are ok in cases where the bolt breaks due to other reasons (sheared off, tensile break, etc). But if the threads were so seized that the bolt itself snapped, it makes it very hard to extract with another device.

If you are going to drill it out, centering is critical. If off center, you'll have to use a small enough drill bit that it just starts to touch the threads on the off-center side of the hole. At that point, I've had luck starting a tap into the hole and it actually chases out the remains of the old bolt (and can sometimes grab it and let you unscrew what's left).

Regardless of how, it is going to be a pain in the rear.

Shep1970
08-31-2017, 05:20 PM
Go down to your nearest harbor freight tools and buy "reverse drill bits" 80% of the time the reverse action and heat from drilling it will come right out, well most of the time.

Shep

wonderboy
09-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Maybe the handlebar bolt will be easier, but I've tried extractors with exhaust studs, head studs, and a few other situations where the bolt was severely stuck and then snapped off. Extractors have never worked for me. Just offering up options to the guy...

Herboso
09-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Probably better off just to toss the handlebars and replace them.

MJV
09-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. What I'll try is center punching the hole, drilling the hole using a cobalt bit, then using an extractor bit to try to get the broken bolt out. If that doesn't work I honestly might gorilla glue an end cap from my parts bike on it, which I realize is stupid. It's just I purchased new OEM Honda handlebar grips and didn't even notice the bolt was broken off until I went to replace them. The bike is in very good shape. I have since removed the registration stickers and taken off the silly basket. I'll attach some pics. The only other problem is that the muffler needs to be replaced as it's pretty loud. Seems odd the muffler is bad since it looks like it's always been stored. Here are some pics.

briano
09-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Drill it out completely and helicoil it, or timesert. Done.

shortline10
09-01-2017, 12:40 PM
I've delt with this a hundred times , drill it as straight as you can and then run a 6x100 tap to repair the old threads .
Honestly it's such a small bolt that an extractor might break . 5 minute job .

MJV
09-01-2017, 01:35 PM
The whole helicoil or timesert thing is way above my head. I'm an amateur at best with working on these bikes. I have limited tools and I already have to purchase a cobalt and extractor bit. So I'll start there. Thanks for the suggestion on the epoxy, Dude!

MJV
09-06-2017, 11:15 AM
I wanted to update you guys on the bolt extractor. It worked great. The bolt was really small. They actually make an extractor bit that you drill and bore out a hole (in reverse) then turn the bit around and extract the bit (in reverse). I got four extractor bits at Menards for 20 bucks in one package. More expensive than I liked but I have the tools right here if I ever face that problem again. It worked excellent. Then I used my air compressor to get my old handlebar grips off (as opposed to cutting them off) just so I could keep them if I ever did need a couple OLD handlebar grips. Your suggestions were wonderful and I really appreciate the help!!! Thanks to all. Added some pics for you.