PDA

View Full Version : Viscosity discussion: Its HOT HOT HOT

lionserviceco
09-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Many many years ago the family had an old Honda atv, a 150 I believe, maybe an 82 or 83. Thing ran like a champ for years through a huge amount of abuse and almost no maintenance; I was less than 10 at the time so I dont want to hear about it. Point is I already loved these old Honda's, they are in my opinion as bulletproof as an atv gets.
So years later I see this little machine(picture to follow) which has sat in a storage unit for the better part of three decades and in a garage for the rest. If I had to guess id say it has less than 100 hours on it, but whoever took the carb apart after it sat for 25 years didnt get it back together quite right. Thats a problem for another day, I'm in Texas and it starts so I'll worry about the choke this winter.
First thing I did when I bought it was service, I never take anyone elses word for it. Covered the basics, air filter, spark plug, and an oil change. Read somewhere on this forum that it calls for 10 40 so I bought a quart of amsoil 10 40 wet clutch motorcycle and put that in. Didnt realize they had an atv formulation or I wouldve used that, but she'll get that next time.
I like this little machine a lot and I have been running her hard along the deer paths because its so small I can follow them and almost keep up sometimes. A lot of fun. Anyway, its hot around here right now, and I am not a small guy anyway. After 20 minutes or so, this little machine is HOT and shifts like dogpiss, and when I stop I can feel a wave of heat radiate up from the drivetrain.

First question: can I run 5 50 in it without running the risk of damaging something? Amsoil makes a 5 50 atv and I have considered swapping that in, its only nine-tenths of a quart. I have a feeling it would shift much better when hot, and more than likely provide better protection to that tiny overworked cylinder and valvetrain.
Second question: I took the pull start mechanism off when I bought it because I read on this forum that there is an oil screen behind it. Either I didnt go far enough into my machine or there isnt one on the little model. What's the word on this? Information would be appreciated, if its there I'm gonna clean it.
Third question: anybody got a service manual for these 125 atcs?

Thanks guys246146

barnett468
09-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Oh boy, finally another oil thread! :Bounce

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :)

Shawn Powell
09-02-2017, 11:25 AM
I have (have had) a few air cooled wet clutch hondas. 400ex 350x xr400 xl600r etc trx250x etc.... all same concept. I have owners manuals for every bike I have. I live in Southern California. It's hot. I ride all year long. I run 20 50 in the summer and 10 40 in the winter. I've noticed when it's above 90 and I have 10 40 I have the symptoms you have. I got this info via my owners manual. Literally from 1985( maybe before but my oldest bike is 85) and up Honda has recommended above 90 degree weather use 20 50. Personally I like the Honda brand oil. I use the synthetic blend cause it has a higher burn off value and I ride my bikes hard. 10$ a quart is way cheaper than a new engine. If I was you I'd drain and replace with 20 50 ( I like the Honda stuff easy to find and haven't had issues ) and when winter comes swap it out. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejam
09-02-2017, 11:43 AM
All my Hondas get 20w50 in summer. As for your heating problem, could be running too lean. I go through carb real good and make sure there isn't any air leaks. I'm in Va, and it gets hot in summer, and there has been times that I've used 10w40 with no issues at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shawn Powell
09-02-2017, 02:26 PM
I also agree with ejam. Check your plug and all your connections. Small air leaks will ruin you. And if your carb was molested you need to go through it once over. Sounds like you have a fairly stock bike so gettin it back to factory should be easy and is a great starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muthey
09-05-2017, 02:48 PM
the oil screen is on the other side of the motor behind the clutch cover. you will need a new gasket and during an oil change pull that cover off you will see the filter screen under the gasket. Your best bet is to get a service manual and look through it for all of the info that you are not sure on. you can get a free service manual here. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/