PDA

View Full Version : 250SX rebuild questions

Cssnider1
09-07-2017, 02:22 PM

I drug my old 85 250SX out of the woods last weekend. After a little tinkering, it runs like a champ! Cosmetically, not so much.

I do have a few questions and I've done a little research this week.

1. Where is the best place besides Ebay to buy parts?
2. If I wanted to put aftermarket black wheels on front and rear, what sizes do I need? I would like to bump up to an 11 or 12" wheel if possible.
3. With that said, what is the best size tires for these things? Do people run a skinny tire in the front?
4. I've read that people swap the front to disc brakes by changing the forks to a 200x front fork. Is this a job not requiring modifications and what wheel would work with that set up?

Looking forward to getting the new Maier Plastics put on that I ordered and getting this thing back on the road so I can use it for Hunting and trail riding!

350for350
09-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Mine had the 200X front end on it when I bought it so i didn't do the swap. I don't there's any mods if you have the complete front end. I just use the original rim on mine.

BarnBoy
09-08-2017, 02:13 PM
I dont know what aftermarket wheels would fit. Would have to check the bolt pattern. Why not just paint the rims black if you want black rims? There is really no advantage to go to 12" rims, and the small rimmed tires ride better.

Check out GH Discount ATV for parts.

Skinny tire is nice up front. I believe they came stock with 22" tires. You could go to 25" but it might get a little sluggish because its geared for 22's.

Cssnider1
09-08-2017, 04:24 PM
after doing some research, I went with new 10" wheels with a 23x7x10 up front and 23x10x10 tires on the back.

I do want to do the front end swap, mainly for the disc brakes but that will be later. Hopefully the tires and wheels will be here this week and I can get those put on. I've got it torn down right now, doing a little painting and powdercoating. Just want to clean it up!

wonderboy
09-08-2017, 05:46 PM
I don't know about the 250R front end, but if you put the 200x front end on there, you either have to weld on a steering stop or run the risk of denting your tank due to the forks hitting. Otherwise, it bolts on.

350for350
09-08-2017, 06:46 PM
I forgot about the stops since I'm running a plastic tank.