PDA

View Full Version : 06 f150

redsox
09-08-2017, 08:47 AM
I just picked up an 06 f150 crew cab with 100,000. 5.4 Liter. Got a good deal on it, but its got some issues. i thought i'd start a thread because it'll keep me focused and i have some questions i think you guys can help with.

Issues- 1. Some rust in the rear cab corners (frame is solid)
2. Roof leak (sunroof or rear third taillight)
3. Engine knock on startup
4. Broken sideview mirror
5. Needs wheels and tires
6. Heater/AC fan only works on high

I'll post when i can with updates. I've ordered some stuff already. Anyone have any experience with the vct sensors and the knock? Also, there is great debate on what oil/filter combo to use. Calls for 5w20 but i've read that that recommendation was made by ford to achieve the fed mileage standards and that it may contribute to the knocking/vct/phaser troubles. Any thoughts? In Australia and Europe the same engine calls for 10w30, or so i'm lead to believe. I was thinking of a fully synthetic 0w30 or 5w30 because i will not be packing on the miles. My concern is not gas mileage. Rather, engine longevity. Thoughts?

redsox
09-08-2017, 09:10 AM
I do believe that it is the cam phase, but i'm having a hard time just accepting it. I can change out the cam phase solenoids for under $100. Waste of time and money?

bkm
09-08-2017, 11:08 AM
I owned a 5.4 for almost 5 years. I used a fram filter one time and it knocked on startup. Talked to a Ford tech who said to use Motorcraft filters because they keep the timing chain tensioners tight after shutting the engine off. I never had an issue after that. Phasers likes to click and clack a little at idle, but that is the nature of the beast. Your fan problem is most likely the switch and my 2010 had the 3rd brake light leak and soak the whole headliner, seat, and carpet. Luckily it was still under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shawn Powell
09-08-2017, 11:12 AM
I have a 2006 f150 5.4 myself. If it was your cam phasers it would sound like a diesel at idle. They do knock at start up after a while. I have 296,000 miles original motor and trans. Keep 5/20 motorcraft semi synthetic in it. I use the Ford filters also. Seem to be just fine I change mine every 5k. (Makes it easy to remember) and I tow all the time and mines always loaded down with tools. (Work)
My ac fan went out once during warranty. ( many miles ago) no idea why but they replaced it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redsox
09-08-2017, 09:02 PM
i have the fan squared away. it was a resistor located just being the glove box. $18 and two minutes. All set. I've been reading more and more about the fram filter problems. I have no way of knowing what others used in the past, so, i got a motorcraft filter and some mobile 1 high mileage 5-20 per spec. I'm gonna change the oil tomorrow and see how it responds. If the knock is still there, i think i will change the solenoids. its cheap and easy and worth a shot,, but one step at a time. i'll also blow out the moonroof drain hoses tomorrow to try and address the leak. thanks for all the responses. i'll update at some point tomorrow. SP,,, if i get 296,000 miles out of this truck it'd be a miracle!!

El Camexican
09-08-2017, 09:52 PM
I had the knock on my 4.6 and fixed it with the correct filter, something to do with the right filters having a one way check valve or something.

The 3rd light leak issue is a joke that goes back to 1997, shame on Ford!

I have heard the cam phaser knock and as said it rattles like a diesel, not the same as the start up knock. The knock eventually is a fact of start up as the engines get worn. The trick to eliminating it is to never let the motor get cold :lol:

Google "Change spark plugs Ford 5.4" to truly fall in love with that motor.;)

El Camexican
09-08-2017, 10:34 PM
About that thin Ford spec oil...

I suspect that was done by Ford to get oil pumping faster and show the EPA better mileage.

Shawn Powell
09-08-2017, 11:54 PM
The Ford oil is literally valvoline high mileage. But cheaper. Comes from the same factory. I don't care for the fram filters as I had one explode on the boat at 80psi. The third taillight in my ranger leaked. Was a cheap gasket from Ford to replace. 10 minutes. I'd start there.

sledcrazyinCT
09-09-2017, 10:31 AM
I owned a 5.4 for almost 5 years. I used a fram filter one time and it knocked on startup. Talked to a Ford tech who said to use Motorcraft filters....

I heard the same thing from ford dealer techs for low oil pressure in 351Ws too. A motorcraft FL1A filter will increase oil pressure 10lb over a FRAM PH8....seen the comparison done and motorcraft filters build more oil pressure

redsox
09-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Ok. Oil and filter change. Motorcraft filter and mobil 1 high mileage 5w-20. It created,,,,,,ABSOLUTELY no difference. Still have the diesel sounding start up. lasts like 5 seconds. Then it sounds good. The truck runs good. I drove it today a little. I found out today that the drivers side rear window doesn't roll down. Something else to address. I'm gonna swap out those solenoids. Gonna order them tomorrow. Its with a shot.

El Camexican
09-10-2017, 10:44 PM
If you shut it off hot and start it back up say 4 or 6 hours later does it still knock?

redsox
09-10-2017, 10:46 PM
if i start it right back up,,, no knock. if i wait awhile, it will knock again.

El Camexican
09-10-2017, 11:23 PM
if i start it right back up,,, no knock. if i wait awhile, it will knock again.

How long is awhile? Basically each morning mine would knock if I'd shut it down in the early evening, but not if I started it within say 8 hours.

redsox
09-12-2017, 09:21 AM
i'll try and time it. i'll update. here is something else I've found. If i start it, it knocks until i tap the gas pedal. it will knock for five minutes if i don't touch the gas. but, as soon as i hit the gas, even if its only running for 5 seconds, the knock will go away. I'll do a little test on when/how long it take to come back.

barnett468
09-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Fram filters are the biggest pieces of crap made on the planet.

Yes the 20w is mainly to help meet epa specs and is retarded to use in an engine unless you live in Alaska.

0w flows just as fast as straight 20w unless it is fairly cold outside because it is the same viscosity at the same temp until the outdoor temp gets cold enough where the 20w will no longer flow well.

Unfortunately you can not rely on the w ratings on all oils because they are not all accurate, and some w's of the same viscosity will flow better than others at freezing etc.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

bkm
09-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Yea. You're pumping oil faster to the topend when you rev it. As above, motorcraft filters and 5w20. After that stop worrying about it unless you like rebuilding trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro that works fine and will for years without being touched.

Pretty much this ^. Once you get past the spark plug issue, the exhaust manifolds rotting off, and clickity clack, the damn things run practically forever. I have a buddy who runs a decent size lawn care business with 10 or so trucks and he looks only for 5.4 Superduty's for his fleet. He knows the inherent issues going in, but the longevity of the engines and strong trans in the SD's, they run forever. The truck around them falls apart from snow plowing before the engine or trans ever give out.

axeman24
09-12-2017, 02:30 PM
I had the knock on my 4.6 and fixed it with the correct filter, something to do with the right filters having a one way check valve or something.

Google "Change spark plugs Ford 5.4" to truly fall in love with that motor.;)

your right about that
i had a 01 in the family since new it blew a spark plug at 220k sounded like an auto shotgun going off under the hood i thought it was done but i was right around the block it drove home popped the hood and saw the coil pack sitting on the injector rail
of course it was one of the plugs by the firewall
had to buy a special angled tap kit to get to it

yep 3 headers cracked

this is a good story
my sister was driving the truck and it popped the passenger tie rod somehow she drove it home with the tires pointing to each other no idea how she did it

other then that amazing truck really i miss the thing sold it at 280 running great and its still going
i love my hemi now hope she doesn't grenade!

redsox
09-12-2017, 06:38 PM
So, the group consensus is not to bother changing the VCT solenoids? It had a real trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro filter on it, and was overdue for a change. Filter was a Prime Guard. I just wonder if theres shite on those solenoid filters. Also I've gotta say, i really don't like the truck. The bed is really small. I think i could make a few bucks on it if i flipped it now, but there isn't a lot out there in terms of decent trucks for short money. I'm not sure which way to go.

Shawn Powell
09-12-2017, 07:46 PM
So, the group consensus is not to bother changing the VCT solenoids? It had a real trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro filter on it, and was overdue for a change. Filter was a Prime Guard. I just wonder if theres shite on those solenoid filters. Also I've gotta say, i really don't like the truck. The bed is really small. I think i could make a few bucks on it if i flipped it now, but there isn't a lot out there in terms of decent trucks for short money. I'm not sure which way to go.

If it's no broke don't fix it. Again 296k on mine just passed California smog original engine cats and trans. I've done the plugs every 50k and only the OEM originals broke. They knew there was an issue and even the motorcraft plugs you buy today are slightly smaller in diameter than the ones from 2005 to 2009. Check your injectors. Mine made hella noise at 250k. I thought my cam phasers were toast. I used a long tube from my shot vac and they were toast. Also get an ohm meter and check your coil packs. Mine had tw dead ones and never threw a light. Ran like trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. Thought truck was done. New packs ran like a champ. New injectors started getting mileage like it did when it was new again.

El Camexican
09-12-2017, 11:19 PM
I have a buddy who runs a decent size lawn care business with 10 or so trucks

So I'm not the only Mexican you know? :wondering

bkm
09-13-2017, 10:07 AM
So I'm not the only Mexican you know? :wonderingHe's 100 percent Gringo. He employees your neighbors causing you to have to cut your own lawn.

Hurley250R
09-13-2017, 11:11 AM
I had a 99 Silverado with the 5.3, got a batch of bad gas and the truck sat alot. Long story short, sent the injectors out to be cleaned and rebuilt, $17 a piece and came back looking like new with new O rings etc. Number 7 inj. had stopped working completely but with ultra-sonic and pulsing they fixed it, all flowed like new. Truck ran amazing again with 167K. Cheaper then buying all new injectors. Just an fyi for anyone

just ben
09-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Ok. Oil and filter change. Motorcraft filter and mobil 1 high mileage 5w-20. It created,,,,,,ABSOLUTELY no difference. Still have the diesel sounding start up. lasts like 5 seconds. Then it sounds good. The truck runs good. I drove it today a little. I found out today that the drivers side rear window doesn't roll down. Something else to address. I'm gonna swap out those solenoids. Gonna order them tomorrow. Its with a shot.they won't fix it. It's the tensioner leaking down. One way to avoid the knock on cold starting is to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it until you have oil pressure for a few seconds. I replaced both solenoids and phasers and mine still does it

Hurley250R
09-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Cool story bro.

Back to your douche bags ways already I see. No one wants you here but you stay like the parasite you are. You have nothing better to do, what a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro loser you are. What a faggot, get a life

Hurley250R
09-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Always been this ugly or did you take alot of beatdowns?
Nice chain (bro)

El Camexican
09-13-2017, 04:41 PM
On the topic of F150's (and NO OTHER REASON!!!) I used to listen to this song when I drove mine (helped drown out the knocking)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltMeuPkWRs

El Camexican
09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Great song by a great band.

Yeah, but that Dude's chain is from Tractor Supply.

tripledog
09-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Yeah, but that Dude's chain is from Tractor Supply.

I am confused. I heard that Tractor Supply was off the chain.

El Camexican
09-13-2017, 07:36 PM
Now I'm confused, I heard they had a chain of stores.

tripledog
09-13-2017, 08:49 PM
Now I'm confused, I heard they had a chain of stores.

There's a cute cashier that works at the nearby TSC. I tried, but I failed to a tractor.