PDA

View Full Version : Possible new trike; opinions??

RobbieGreene508
09-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Ok, so I've been registered here a while, in the past few years my interest in trikes/3 wheelers has grown significantly. I grew up on quads my whole life, racing from an early age well into my teens. Actually I only stopped racing when I went off to college, and since have only had quads on and off but recreationally only. Aside from all my quads, I've had a handful of three wheelers over the years; ATC 70, a 180 or 185(?), a tecate, and I think a 200x. These were all just beat around bikes and spares for friends when they visited to ride with me, etc. None of these I EVER paid much attention to, nor took seriously as anything but beaters...

That all being said, my kids are now transitioning into larger quads and dirtbikes, far from their first power wheels, then 50cc's with pull cords in case they drove faster or further than the 20-ish feet of cord... So now is officially the time I can justify getting a larger, faster vehicle to keep up and go riding with them.

First off, I'm in awe of the nice "sport" trikes out there; I'd love a 250r, Tri-Z, the "not supposed to be sporty" 350x, and so on... But I need to be realistic right now with my budget and lack of riding spaces and time. I can't afford a $4000 three wheeler that I ride once every 2 months for an hour each. I also like the idea of something I can MAYBE, eventually "build" or modify somewhat, whether it's a motor swap, just bolt ons, or a full tear down and rebuild.

Recently I came across a great deal on a running 83' ATC200. Not a 200x, not a 200e, nada. Apparently it's JUST an ATC 200. Its the first I've seen or heard of one. It's very affordable and rideable as is, which is a huge plus in favor of me buying it. I've searched here and Google, and I'm having a tough time finding full specs, or info on people building them, swapping them, etc. I'd really appreciate feedback and opinions from anyone who actually knows these bikes. Please let me know what and if the pros & cons are; are there many options (or aftermarket sources/parts) for them? Is the frame the same as say a "x" or 250r, or are most parts interchangeable? Motor or head swap, rebuilds, yada yada yada? Oh, and is there a clutch kit to swap it from centrifugal to an actual clutch, or is a tranny swap possible?

I appreciate everyone's time and help in advance; hopefully I get enough feedback to make a decision on purchasing it, or holding out for something better altogether.

Thanks again,

-Robbie

Shawn Powell
09-13-2017, 09:36 PM
For something you can build and have fun with I'd go with 250r second or third gen or first gen 200x or the best three wheeler ever made , a 350x. 350 is the best option for parts and reliability imo. Runs forever and tons of upgrade. Here in Cali you can get rough complete runners for 12 to 1800 still. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

125Mmadness
09-13-2017, 09:40 PM
the ATC200 will suit you well for you needs, but its more for utlility use, the atc185s and 200s are sportier models, they are lighter and lower, and shorter than a 200, 200e, or 200es. So they would be a better choice. As for the frames, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaay different than a 200x. A 200x has rear suspension, none of the other 185/200 bikes do. As for the engine, the top ends are interchangable (I am currently putting a 200x piston and cam it my 200s). as for the bottom end I really don't know, I don't think anyone has tried either (usually you see the auto clutch engines going into 200x's). Wiseco makes a 10.25:1 piston for them, you can put a 200x piston in (9.6:1) or a xr200 piston (10:1) as well you can run a 200x or xr200 cam, you can get one from web cam inc.
wiseco makes a 10.25:1 piston for them

350for350
09-13-2017, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure about a 1983 model, but at least the earlier ones didn't have any suspension. It will do what you want, just don't expect a smooth ride. It's basically the same thing as my 1980 ATC185. Even with a 350x in the same garage, it still has it's places.

ZachH
09-13-2017, 10:21 PM
I agree, I have a garage full of all different models and they each have their places where they are best suited. That being said, I like the 200x if you don't have a lot to spend but want an all around good trike. It has plenty of power and has suspension. Plus you can always throw in a mickey dunlap kit if you want/need more out of it. I ride my 70s and my 350x the most out of my collection go figure haha. Hope this helps!

RobbieGreene508
09-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It looks like I'll probably pass on it all together. I'm not even a fan of how it looks, so with all that's been said about frames and differences, I won't even be able to make it look halfway decent; not without fabbing a ton of tabs and trimming plastics from some other trike.... And no rear suspension is problematic; it has fronts but I didn't even really think about it possibly not having rear. In my own little world, that was just assumed. I've had a few rigid frame motorcycles, I couldn't fathom being off road for any good amount of time and enjoying it. I'm 6'1" tall and 245lbs, that should say enough right there.

RobbieGreene508
09-13-2017, 10:48 PM
I just came across this; should I jump on it?? Here's the description in the ad:

"have for sale a 1983 Honda 200x atc 4stroke 5 speed transmission this is a race bike from back in the day that needs some tlc it runs fantastic it drives great but the back tires only hold air for a couple hours the plastics are all cracked the seat cover is junk there is something wrong with the kick starter it doesn't have the exact right tank on it and it needs a new exhaust but, you just can't find these things any more I won't let it go for any less then 500 it runs I can show anyone who wants to see it does need a lot of work but it's rare u won't find one with a 40 over wiseco piston and 5 plus extended rear axle it doesn't burn oil it doesn't knock it runs great"

jakep53
09-14-2017, 06:14 AM
I just came across this; should I jump on it?? Here's the description in the ad:

"have for sale a 1983 Honda 200x atc 4stroke 5 speed transmission this is a race bike from back in the day that needs some tlc it runs fantastic it drives great but the back tires only hold air for a couple hours the plastics are all cracked the seat cover is junk there is something wrong with the kick starter it doesn't have the exact right tank on it and it needs a new exhaust but, you just can't find these things any more I won't let it go for any less then 500 it runs I can show anyone who wants to see it does need a lot of work but it's rare u won't find one with a 40 over wiseco piston and 5 plus extended rear axle it doesn't burn oil it doesn't knock it runs great"

if the kick start is slipping its most likely the gears which requires the cases to be split I believe and the gears are usually expensive

atc007
09-14-2017, 07:06 AM
A 350X or 250 Big Red is what you will want. A 250R is a missile for a race track. Nowhere near that fast,,but putting in the woods with the kids will have you fairly frustrated waiting to wring it out every once in a while. Don't get a hard tail. While they are awesome fun,,,not for trail riding with modern quads for hours..If you are a really small framed build,, guys love 250SX's also. Those are the 3 models I would recommend. A 2nd gen ATC 200X is also a great bike,dependant again on your size and build. Much more reliable than a 1st gen.

x-rider
09-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Umm new? Have KASEY build you one!!!

350for350
09-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Robbie, I wouldn't buy that one. It says that it was a race bike, it needs new plastic, a new seat cover, exhaust, and possibly a gas tank. I think that it's probably in pretty bad shape. The comment of "you just can't find these things anymore" and "but it's rare" make me hear something like "this thing is a big pile and I want to unload it on you while making you think that you're stealing it from me!".

83ATC185
09-15-2017, 08:36 AM
a first gen 200x is the perfect all-around bike IMO...its like the XR100 of the trike world...If you look around you can find a good deal on a rider, as mentioned above make sure the kicker gear doesn't slip.

Dude, why the 83 swinger? Stronger? Lighter?

350for350
09-16-2017, 11:23 PM
If it actually was a racer and still has the original parts, then that's one thing. To me it sounds like he's trying to make it sound like it's super special.

RobbieGreene508
09-25-2017, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still looking at my options

RobbieGreene508
09-25-2017, 03:15 AM
I've been registered since 2016, but still don't have my 10 posts... I'm hoping maybe something will pop up when I can get into the classified section here

barnett468
09-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Just make several useless posts in a row until you have 10, nobody will care.