PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Yamaha 225DX Ignition

molderone
09-18-2017, 08:19 AM
I purchased new in 1984 and after a decade or two of little to no use I pulled it out of my parents barn. Cleaned up well and runs great after doing some relatively small tune ups. Unfortunately during its respite of over a decade the ignition (key) was damaged. Either someone thought they lost the key(s) or did gosh knows what but broke the ignition (key). When I retrieved the trike both keys and the tumbler assembly were present (in zip lock bag). I did the maintenance on the bike and did get it running. Well, my kid decided to take it out and left the key and tumbler in the bike during their ride. Upon returning both the key and tumbler were missing. So my question is; can the ignition (key) be replaced with a toggle switch? I do have a wiring diagram (I have original manual) and have attempted but without success installing a toggle. I can get the neutral switch to light up and the starter to turn the bike over but I suspect the coil is not being energized. I believe there is a red, brown, black with white stripe and a black wire leading up to the ignition switch (key). I tied the brown and the red together via a toggle switch which is how I get the neutral and starter to energize. Any other combination using the black wires causes the 10 amp fuse under the seat to blow. Sorry for long note and any help on this matter is greatly appreciate. BTW, I was able to find OEM part number 2FW-82510-02-00-Main Switch Assy online but puckered at the $130+ price. I do see other Main Switch Assy at lower prices but the prefix is different and was not sure if they could be used. Thank you in advance

Jrobbins
09-19-2017, 12:32 AM
This is the switch I ordered for my ytm 225dx. I had to re-route the wiring a little because it was a hair shorter than the original. https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Switch-Yamaha-YFM225-YFM250/dp/B00KBLODPG. I found it by google searching yamaha moto 4 225 ignition switch.

molderone
09-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you for the suggestion and I most certainly will order one today

350for350
09-27-2017, 10:16 PM
That's way better than trying to use a toggle switch.