PDA

View Full Version : '84 250r, looking for forks.

Rm25088
09-27-2017, 12:11 AM
My front forks are completely shot. Probably not even worth rebuilding anymore. Does anyone have a set of 83-84 250r forks they want to get rid of? If I was to redo mine Id need all new springs and everything else. Im looking for ones that still have rebound left and arent pogo sticks, and if they need fork seals that is fine. Ive never seen forks so bad in my life. I also know that the '85? 350x? forks will fit? I am not racing or doing anything extreme. Just trail riding and enjoying my trike once its done. Let me know. Being a "new guy" I am only limited to posting on this page. Al though, I used to be an active member years ago. Let me know. Also a headlight and tail light would be cool. Just bought a new switch and I only wired up the off, run, off part. I Really want a head light. I got new used rear shock coming in soon that is pretty mint, cylinder, piston, top end gasket kit. Almost time to test this beast once everything comes in but i really need those forks.

Shawn Powell
09-27-2017, 12:30 AM
Yes 350x forks will work but honestly the truck used to be putting the 250r springs in the 350x for a stiffer rate. So you'd be going backwards. If it was me I'd take yours apart and install new springs and if the budget allows racetechs cartridge valve emulators. Racetech can send you everything you need or you can let them do it for you. I have that on my 350x and it rides like a champ now. Good luck and welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabiodriven
09-27-2017, 12:30 AM
Are they pitted? Chrome worn off? I'd be putting new springs in anyways if it were mine. They're 30 year old springs.

Rm25088
09-27-2017, 04:28 AM
depends on how much all that will cost.\

Rm25088
09-27-2017, 04:31 AM
Thanks man. I can send them out to racetech and they will rebuild them for me? Is that just for the valve emulators or does that include springs, fork and dust seals also?

Rm25088
09-27-2017, 05:33 AM
You really got me thinking now. I just cant spend hundreds of dollars on forks. I emailed them for a quote. Id love them to be set up for my weight, and id probably get a spring for the rear.

Rm25088
09-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Are they pitted? Chrome worn off? I'd be putting new springs in anyways if it were mine. They're 30 year old springs.

No they look decent. fork seals are gone on one of them and they both dont have any oil left what so ever.

AMK
09-27-2017, 07:30 AM
I have a pair of 250r forks. I don't know the year because they came with a box of 350x stuff. If worse comes to worse.
If all you need are springs, oil and seals I'm going to bet any inexpensive forks you find will need the same.
Unless they're bent or rusted I'd rebuild.

big specht
09-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Hell just clean and reseal them with heavier oil in them and try it you should have 20 or less in doing that and if you don't lik it then spend the money on springs and valves.

shortline10
09-27-2017, 01:07 PM
AND if their a little droopy..... just add a piece of schedule 40 pvc between the cap and spring 1" at a time until you like the ride height .

AMK
09-27-2017, 01:41 PM
AND if their a little droopy..... just add a piece of schedule 40 pvc between the cap and spring 1" at a time until you like the ride height .

I would do this anyway just to get away with putting no air in them.

Rm25088
09-29-2017, 09:17 PM
Thanka for all the replies gang. I did buy a set for 71 bucks on eBay that still have rebound and aren't pitted. Only pitted spot is where the air fillers were. They look nice. They say one seeps a little. Don't we all. Mine are tkoed. So I'm thinking of maybe trying put my rebuild skills on the ones I got now. Must be a lot easier than rebuilding an inverted. I'd also like to know what spring what be good for a 160ish pound rider? Thanks... It's becoming an addiction. I got rear axle carrier bearings to install steering stem bearings, rear wheel bearings, new bars, really need to get whole back break assembly, Still waiting on top end, got my piston in, rear shock that is actually sweet and had the hard soft knob. New chain, next will be frame slider and a full bolt kit. Only think I got for the rear breaks is the peddle which is stuck and brake fluid ressy.

Rm25088
09-30-2017, 02:37 AM
And then we move on to plastics and maybe a strip down to powdercoat everything. Have made up my mind yet. Mair has a scratch and dent white carbon fiber that I think would look awesome, but if I go that why I'd rather leave the number tags on it. Although I really really want a light.