PDA

View Full Version : From 5300 to 3700 jetting question

DesertRider
10-04-2017, 04:55 AM
Just picked up this beauty. Has a Paul turner eliminator kit on it with all original plastics. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet because I'm a little worried about the change in altitude. I thought I'd ask here first before hunting for my manual. Anyone one know what size jets I should be using? Needle position?

barnett468
10-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Its difficult to guess with a reasonable amount of accuracy what the jetting should be on some setups. If it was jetted properly for the elevation it was at and you went to an elevation that was 2000 feet higher, you could lower the main jet by 1 size and lower the needle by moving the clip up 1 position and it should be very close.

It is always better to stat too rich then to start too lean when jetting.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

shortline10
10-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Start off with a new spark plug and do a few plug chops , this will help determine if the jetting is good or not .
Read up on plug chops if you don't already know .
And like barn mentioned a little rich on the fuel is a lot better than lean .

yaegerb
10-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Just picked up this beauty. Has a Paul turner eliminator kit on it with all original plastics. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet because I'm a little worried about the change in altitude. I thought I'd ask here first before hunting for my manual. Anyone one know what size jets I should be using? Needle position?

If the PO jetted for high altitude then it should be pig rich at the new sea level. That being said, a few questions.
1. What size/model is your carb?
2. Running airbox with lid?
3. What kind of filter?
4. What reeds are you running?
5. What is the motor compression?

I should be able to ball park the jetting with those answered.

Shawn Powell
10-04-2017, 02:10 PM
If you dropped 1600 feet I would say ride it and check your plug. Worse case you foul one. I doubt you would as 1600 feet isn't that bad. My bikes are garage/ street tuned at approx 750' elevation and run perfectly fine up to 6000 feet. Maybe a tad rich at the top but nothing that stops my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barnett468
10-04-2017, 02:50 PM
oops....I'm dyslexic today...

...but my info is still correct! :lol:

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce