PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation

knappyfeet
10-22-2017, 11:27 AM
I normally do not post things of a personal nature like this but I was thinking........

Yesterday my niece passed from an aneurysm at 26.....a week before her 27th birthday. She was a beautiful girl with a heart of gold and just a joy to be around. We are all devastated and heart broken. Her mother, father, siblings and her young twins.....I pray for. There were no signs that she would ever suffer from something like this. She was in perfect health and had a whole life ahead of her. Being nearly twice her age I've seen a lot of things happen in life and have given up on trying to understand why things happen the way they do and also understanding God's plan......because for me there is no rhyme or reason for things like this.

Although being pronounced dead yesterday they are keeping her in a "coma state" til today for organ harvesting. And as we sit around her hospital bed heart broken and in despair I can't help but to think about other families around other hospital beds around the country......but not in despair but in hope. In hope that their beloved loved one will have a second chance on life.......a new start or beginning.......all because of my nieces thoughtful intentions of helping others if the unimaginable ever happened to her. That is what led me to write this.

No matter the health or wellness of a person.....never take that for granted. Love and enjoy your friends and family. Try never to go too long angry at someone. Life is short and unpredictable. When you think you have forever left live like you may not. Leave a positive legacy.........and if your heart permits be an organ donor. Long after your soul is with our Father in heaven your physical spirit can be alive and helping others live their full potential. My niece was full of love......and whomever shall receive her organs will be receiving organs full of love.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-22-2017, 11:49 AM
First I am sorry to hear of such a tragic and unexpected loss in your family. My condolences to you and yours.

The rest of your post, you may not know how true those words you posted are! My father passed away in Sept of 2016 from a degenerative and incurable lung disease at the age of 61, called IPF. He never smoked a day in his life, but worked many years in a wire mill to support his family. He was diagnosed in 2007 and received a single lung transplant in November of 2010, not a moment too soon as his condition was deteriorating fast. That donor and family gave my Dad 6 more years on this Earth with his family which was THE most important thing to him in life. Eventually the rejection won out and sadly we lost him last year. I am forever grateful to that anonymous person and his/her family for such a prescious gift. I only wish I could voice my gratitude to them. But since I cannot I do the best I can and became a donor myself.

dustrunner
10-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Thought's and prayers to everyone involved . Life certainly does tear our hearts out now and then, with no logical explanation..im so sorry !

atc007
10-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Sorry for your loss Knappy. I am a donor. Hoping and praying it's all used up when I'm done with it,but God knows tomorrow is not guaranteed. A good friend of mine is a Dr. She obviously knows the importance of donating. When my Dad died, her Father in Law died. At his viewing,her husband dropped over dead in front of his Dads casket. She was on him doing CPR before he hit the ground,but he was dead. She said that night was pure hell. The harvest team had to get his body, and paperwork all night. She knows it was worth it,but she was appalled at the ordeal it caused her family. That was 5 years ago. Hopefully it has improved.

x-rider
10-22-2017, 11:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your families loss. Prayers for your family.

tripledog
10-23-2017, 05:42 AM
My words may be of little consolation, but I wish to offer my condolences. I am so sorry for the untimely loss of your niece. I believe organ donation is one of the least selfish things a person can do. I am a donor as well.

Jd110
10-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Knappy, I'm sorry to here this about your niece. Your words of wisdom will be remembered, here. Peace to you, your family and especially your niece.

Rmac86
10-24-2017, 02:21 PM
I am very sorry to hear of you and your families' loss, thoughts and prayers go out to you guys.

coolpool
10-24-2017, 08:51 PM
So sorry to hear about this knappy, my thoughts and prayers go out to all. Your niece is not only going to be with us in spirit, she'll be with us in body as being gifted to another. Always remember she is a true HERO, as all organ donators are.

I heard this the other day from a promoter of organ donations who has a novel idea. Today in our province you can elect to be a donor as annotated by a heart symbol on your drivers licence. This requires an input from you to voluntarily elect this and what conditions are attached. What if we flipped that around and changed it that everyone is signed up by default on your license unless they voluntarily choose not to be. It puts the onus on the individual to do the work to elect out! My guess is lots more folks would become one if the work was done for them and they didn't have to lift a finger.

I am also a donor.

86T3
10-25-2017, 12:10 AM
Knappyfeet, I'm so sorry for your loss. Both my wife and I are organ doners. We will keep your niece in our thoughts and prayers.

El Camexican
10-25-2017, 04:35 AM
Sorry for your family's loss Knappy.

I have always ticked off the donors box on my motorcycle license. I remember being told as a kid that my grandfather's eyes had made it possible for somebody to see when he died and have always thought donation was a noble thing to do.

knappyfeet
10-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Thank you...thank you... thank you..........thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you.

It was a week ago today....last Thursday. ...when she initially suffered her aneurysm. Everyone is doing about as good as can be expected at this point.

I've been to funerals whom the deceased was an organ donor but never experienced it first hand like this. By Monday organs were already donated. Her precious heart was donated to a recipient in the San Diego area who was labeled "time critical". We heard Tuesday that the transplant was a success and the recipient was doing well. This news was very emotional. It's difficult to describe....it's like the thrill of a roller coaster with a Rambo knife in the back. Your very sad and elated and thrilled and happy for the person doing well and horribly depressed.....all at the same time. Her kidneys were donated locally as well. Her beautiful eyes were going to a recipient in the LA area. Her liver to Utah I believe. All will surely feel her love.

I've always been an organ donor but now more than ever I feel obligated. Parts of her will live on in others who need them....and I'm a Catholic so I believe her soul will live for eternity.

Thank you all

RIDE-RED 250r
10-26-2017, 07:50 PM
I don't mean to detract from the topic of your thread and make it about me, that is not my intent. But after much consideration I decided to share a picture taken of my Dad when he was in his prime, post-transplant. This picture shows the magnitude of the blessing bestowed upon recipients by donors. It is a gift for which no amount of earthly compensation could ever justly repay.

This is my Dad, I still miss him terribly but am forever grateful to his donor and his/her family for the tremendous gift of 6 more years with him.

83ATC185
10-27-2017, 08:43 AM
I'm sorry for your loss knappy. There's not much i can say that hasn't already been said. Your words really hit home. I'll be 27 at the end of next month, and I'm as guilty as they come as far as taking life and time for granted and i would do well to remember that today is the only day were given and even its not guaranteed. Knowing that i can give people life even when my time is through is a comforting thought. Praying for peace in this hard time for you all.